When it comes to features, the Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 offers significantly more than many other fishing kayaks. And it’s not only about the quantity – the quality of the included features and accessories is top of the line. Take a quick look at a list of things you get with this kayak:
- Phase 3 AirPro seat allows full backrest and thigh support adjustability for top-level comfort
- Two Orbix storage hatches (bow and center) for storing and keeping your gear fully dry
- Four SlideTrax gear tracks for quick and easy mounting of a GoPro holder or rod holders
- Rubber storage pockets in front of the seat for stashing smaller gear
- Paddle holders on both sides and a slider on the front for quickly securing your kayak paddle
- KeepersXL foot brace system is easy to adjust and comfortable even for taller kayakers
- Spacious bungee-corded tankwell for all the bulky gear you’re bringing
- Four rubberized carry handles for easy transportation
- Plenty of beautiful color combinations to choose from
Length: 10 feet
Width: 30.5 inches
Height: 15.25 inches
Weight: 55 pounds
Capacity: 325 pounds
Material: High-density polyethylene, rotomolded
Use: Kayak fishing, flatwater kayaking
Colors: Borealis, Galaxy, Mango, Midnight, Atomic, Neutron
Warranty: Limited lifetime warranty for material and manufacturing defects
Included accessories: Phase 3 AirPro seat, SlideTrax accessory rail system, KeepersXL sliding foot brace system, two Orbix hatches, rubber storage pockets, two paddle holders
Performance: Paddlers say that this kayak handles surprisingly well and that it’s incredibly easy to control. On top of this, the tracking is also very satisfactory. Compared to its longer version, the Wilderness Tarpon 120, this one is not as fast but it feels more maneuverable.
This is why it’s an excellent choice for all the beginners who want to start kayak fishing. As we mentioned earlier, the Tarpon 100 kayaks work best in calmer water, but people have used it for ocean fishing too and it easily stood to the task.
Stability: The hull is fairly wide and gives you excellent stability, which is really important for a fishing kayak. It’s easy to get in and out, and it stays stable even when loaded with gear. Besides, the kayak comes with 6 scupper holes that help get water out of the kayak, so it doesn’t sink too low when some splash gets inside.
Even though it handles waves and winds pretty well, it’s smart that you inform yourself about kayak safety before going out, so that something unexpected doesn’t ruin your day.
Storage: People are very happy with the amount of storage in this kayak since you get many options. The two Orbix hatches are waterproof and spacious so you can put plenty of gear inside the hull. Thanks to the lever lock, these are easy to open and close. Anglers say that the molded-in storage tankwell is large enough for a milk crate with all your gear and that you can also fit a larger tackle box or a dry bag in there.
In front of the seat, you’ll find two small storage pockets with rubber covering them. These are incredibly convenient for smaller items like sunglasses or a kayak knife, or anything else you need close to hand. There is also a water bottle holder in the middle, and additional bungee cords to secure other smaller gear.
Fishing: As we mentioned when we discussed the features, this kayak comes equipped with the SlideTrax gear rail system. Kayakers say that it’s a convenient and smart solution. There is a total of four rails (two in the cockpit and two in the tankwell), and you can easily mount any type of holder you need – for a fishing rod, your GoPro camera, or other fishing accessories. Additionally, there is a flat rectangular area on the center console, designed for mounting a fish finder if you need one.
Comfort: Anglers agree that you can sit in this one comfortably during the whole day, which is important while waiting for the fish to bite. The main reason is certainly the Phase 3 AirPro kayak seat. The backrest can be moved forward and back, and can also be folded when transporting the kayak. The seat also allows you to adjust the thigh support by simply pulling on a lever.
In addition to the seat, the kayak has a fully adjustable foot brace system for finding the most comfortable and stable leg position. People also like that the Tarpon 100 comes with paddle holders allowing your hands to remain free. There is a bungee cord with a wheel on the front for quickly sliding the blade underneath, as well as two bungee-corded holders on the sides.
- Price: 100% – We think that the asking price for this kayak is well justified. Sure, it’s more expensive than many other fishing kayaks, but it also gives you much more. In terms of build quality and the number of accessories, it easily blows away the competition in this price range. We think that quality is worth investing in since it will last for a much longer time.
- Material: 95% – The high-density polyethylene used in making the Tarpon 100 kayaks has become a standard in the kayak industry since it gives the vessel exceptional toughness and durability. We like that you don’t have to worry about dents or punctures if you happen to hit a rock or a branch when in the water. Also, beautiful colors don’t fade from UV exposure, which is a bonus.
- Design: 95% – We are really impressed with the overall design of this sit-on-top kayak. It’s made to give you the ultimate comfort and the possibility to set up the kayak for fishing however you like it. Everything seems to be in its place and the high level of adjustability makes it a great choice for all paddlers.
- Overall: 97% – This is a high-quality kayak that you buy if you want to improve your fishing experience. As we mentioned earlier, it’s probably the best choice in this price range. It’s a really smart purchase – you get everything you need for fishing and having a good time on the water, without spending thousands of dollars on gear.
Globo Surf Overview
The Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 is versatile, durable, and a complete pleasure to use. As you had the chance to see, it’s really well-designed, and the manufacturer has paid attention to every detail of this kayak. Unlike some other larger kayaks, this one is perfectly sized for when you want to go on the water alone.
Most people can carry the kayak on their own, and it has plenty of room for all the fishing gear you want to bring. Many fishing enthusiasts claim that this is one of the best 10ft angler kayaks you’ll come across. So, if you want to take your fishing game to a higher level, be sure to check this one out.
More Kayak Reviews:
- Motorized Kayak
- Fishing Canoe
- Ocean Kayak
- Folding Kayak
- Kayak Anchor
- Lifetime Tamarack Angler Kayak
- Sun Dolphin Aruba 10
- Sailing A Kayak
- Intex Explorer K2 Kayak
- Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 Kayaks, wildernesssystems.com