Having extra features on your kayak really makes a difference, especially when it comes to fishing. This fishing kayak comes with plenty of neat additions to make your day more comfortable and enjoyable. Among other things, you get a fully adjustable sitting and leg position, as well as rod holders and organized storage for your gear. Take a peek at everything that Pelican The Catch 120 has to offer:
- Ergocast dual-position seat allows you to quickly switch between height positions
- Adjustable footrests provide leg comfort even for tall kayakers
- Flush mount rod holders behind the seat
- Paddle holders with bungee cords on both sides
- Quick-lock hatch at the bow keeps smaller fishing accessories and gear dry
- Strong and ergonomic carry handles
- Stand assist strap for getting up easily
- Storage tank well with bungee cords for securing your gear
- Bottle holder for your beverage
- Accessory eyelets on the sides
Length: 11 feet 8 inches
Width: 34 inches
Height: 15 inches
Weight: 69 pounds
Capacity: 400 pounds
Material: RAM-X polyethylene with a resin layer
Warranty: Lifetime on materials and workmanship, 1 year on accessories
Included accessories: Ergocast seat, rod holders, paddle holders, bungee storage system, adjustable foot braces, accessory eyelets, quick-lock hatch, stand to assist strap
Usability: Anglers say that the performance of this kayak is really good. It’s easy to handle and maneuver, despite it being almost 12ft long. What’s even better, it performs well in different circumstances too. Thanks to the smart design, you can use it on calm, flat water, or take it out on the river since it handles up to class II rapids.
Because it’s so easy to use, it’s a great choice for beginners just getting into kayak fishing. Even though Pelican The Catch 120 is most commonly used for single-day trips, it has plenty of storage space for additional gear if you want to go on a multi-day adventure.
Stability: One of the things that separate the Catch kayak from its competition is the fantastic stability. It features a tunnel-shaped hull, and users say that it helps noticeably. The kayak is almost impossible to tip and remains stable even when standing.
Besides, it also helps that this kayak has a wide padded standing area which provides a solid grip even when wet. In terms of kayak safety at least, you really have nothing to worry about.
Fishing: The Pelican Catch 120 fishing kayak makes fishing really easy and relaxing. It has rod holders just next to your seat, which is convenient for keeping a fishing rod or a fishing net. Because holders are well placed, you won’t have any problems quickly grabbing the rod when fish bites the bait.
Additionally, the stability we mentioned enables you to stand safely, and there is even a strap you can grab for added stability. Furthermore, the seat allows you to quickly change the sitting position, which we will explain in more detail a bit later.
Of course, you can easily install various gear too. Even though it could use some additional mounts, you still won’t have any problems installing any equipment you need. For example, there is a nice flat surface in the middle for a fish finder or an additional rod holder.
Furthermore, some users have noted that even though the tracking is good, installing a rudder can really help. Finally, there are additional eyelets on the sides which can be very useful for tying down a kayak anchor for example.
Storage: This is one of the things that makes this kayak stand out in the crowd. At 400lbs weight capacity, it can effortlessly support any kayaker combined with loads of equipment. You can easily organize this equipment too, thanks to the large storage hatch in the front and the spacious tankwell in the back.
The storage hatch is oval, large, and gives you access to the inside of the hull. The lid has two locks and a rubber gasket around the edges, so the content inside remains dry. Many people use the hatch for stowing additional rods, but also a camping tent or a sleeping bag if going on a longer trip.
You might also like:
The tankwell in the back is large, but some anglers feel it could be a bit wider. Still, you won’t have any problems fitting a milk crate with your gear. This area is also convenient for a dry bag or a small lunch cooler with your snacks and beverages. The tankwell is rigged with bungee cords, which are really helpful for securing the content.
Comfort: Kayakers say that the comfort level of the Catch is amazing, which mostly has to do with the Ergocast seat. It’s a wide and comfy seat that is mostly made of breathable mesh. It has a pocket on the back, which you can use to put in additional padding and improve back support.
The kayak seat is held in place by a system of straps, which allow you to adjust its angle and support. Besides, these straps also allow you to quickly change seat height, even while you’re on the water. You can choose between two positions – low and high. The lower position is much easier when paddling the kayak (more streamlined and a better stroke), while the high position greatly increases visibility when fishing.
As we mentioned earlier, this kayak offers more than enough space for anglers of any size. The cockpit is long and equipped with adjustable foot braces. By pressing the lever, you can slide the footrest along the rail until you find the perfect position. Finally, this kayak also comes with molded-in grooves on the sides serving as a quick rest for your kayak paddle.
Portability: Like many other fishing kayaks, this one isn’t exactly light, which has much to do with all the additional equipment it comes with. It does have four ergonomic carry handles, which should make the task much easier. While some kayakers can carry the kayak on their own, others are going to need some help.
The best way to help yourself transport the kayak is by getting a kayak cart, so you can bring the kayak down to the water by yourself. You should also consider how you’re going to transport it with your vehicle since it’s too long to fit in the back of your truck. A roof rack can be really helpful in this situation.
All this hassle is absolutely worth it if you plan to use your kayak mostly for fishing. On the other hand, if you’re after a leisure kayak, you can also consider getting a smaller and lighter recreational kayak.
- Price: 100% – Not many kayaks offer this level of quality for such an affordable price. It comes with everything you need to take it fishing right away. If you want to avoid spending thousands of dollars on a fishing kayak and equipment, this is the way to go.
- Material: 100% – Like many other high-quality kayaks, the Pelican Catch 120 fishing kayak is made of high-density polyethylene. But this one takes things to a higher level – it also has a resin layer on top. This greatly improves abrasion resistance and overall durability and guarantees that the kayak will last a long time.
- Design: 85% – The design is smart and convenient, but we couldn’t help but feel there’s some room for improvement. Still, you will have a great time on the water, and you can set up the kayak however you like it.
- Overall: 95% – We really like the balance that this one gives you. It’s not the most sophisticated fishing kayak on the market, but it has more than enough to satisfy the needs of most anglers. Considering the price, you can’t really ask for more.
Globo Surf Overview
Overall, the Pelican Catch 120 is an impressive kayak that will certainly make your fishing experience very enjoyable. It’s stable, comfortable, and very easy to use. Considering the size, its performance surprisingly good too. It’s an all-around versatile kayak that can perform on calm or choppy water, as well as on shorter or multi-day trips. In combination with the relatively low price tag for this type of kayak, this is a safe bet for any angler looking to have some fun.
Single Products Hardshell Reviews:
- Oru Folding Kayak Review
- Perception Kayak Pescador Pro 12.0 Review
- Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 Fishing Kayak Review
- Sun Dolphin Aruba 10 Kayak Review
- Vibe Sea Ghost 130 Angler Kayak Review
- Sun Dolphin Journey 10 SS Kayak Review
- Sun Dolphin Bali SS 10ft Kayak Review
- Old Town Saranac 146 Canoe Review
- Ocean Kayak Malibu Two Tandem Kayak Review
- Wilderness System Tarpon 120 Fishing Kayak Review
- Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 12 Kayak Review
- Perception Pescador 10 Kayak Revie