If you want to be worry-free and comfortable throughout the day, this is a great kayak to get. It’s primarily made for fishing, and the components included are there to make things as easy as possible. Your seating position can be adjusted, you can mount any type of gear you want, and you don’t have to worry about running out of storage space. Take a lot at some of its most prominent features.
- Removable stadium-style seat
- Two-seat positions
- Adjustable footrests
- YakAttack gear track system
- Molded-in tank wells at bow and stern
- Replaceable skid plate
- Paddle park
- Carry handles
- Access to the hull interior
Length: 12 feet
Width: 32.5 inches
Depth: 14.5 inches
Weight: 64 pounds
Capacity: 375 pounds
Material: High-density polyethylene, rotomolded
Warranty: 5 years
Included accessories: Stadium-style seat, gear tracks, center console for fish finders
Performance: This is a reliable kayak that performs best in calmer waters such as lakes, slow rivers, or calm coastal waters. Many people have also tried it out in strong currents and winds, and the results were really good. One of the biggest upsides of this kayak (in terms of performance) is how good it tracks. This is one of the first things kayakers point out when discussing this kayak. You won’t have any problems keeping it straight even if your paddling technique isn’t optimal.
Thanks to its length and the hull design, it’s really easy to paddle this kayak since it smoothly glides through the water. In terms of speed, it’s neither fast nor slow. It’s easy to maneuver, but you should be aware that it takes more time and a larger area compared to some shorter fishing kayaks.
Stability: For such a large kayak, stability is really good. This is thanks to the slightly flatter hull and sufficient width. It doesn’t move around much when you step inside it, which makes getting in and out of the kayak easy. If you’re concerned about kayak safety, you’ll be glad to hear that you have nothing to worry about. The body is very buoyant, leak-proof, and compliant with US Coast Guard regulations.
While the chance of tipping over is next to none, users do say that it can move more if you want to stand up while fishing. This is why some people have equipped it with kayak stabilizers to further improve the stability. It’s sometimes much easier to stand up when reeling in your catch, and this can certainly help.
Storage: You won’t have any problems packing all the gear you wish to bring with you, even for an overnight kayaking trip. Since this kayak is long, the manufacturer had plenty of space for storage compartments. Because of this, you get two large tank wells – one at the bow and the other behind your seat, in the stern area.
The bow tankwell is convenient for storing the fish you catch, or keeping some of your accessories, for example, a lunch cooler. It comes with a mesh cover, kept in place with bungee cords. The rear tank well is a bit larger and has bungee cords for securing the content. It’s spacious enough to accommodate a deck bag or a larger crate with your equipment.
One of Pescador’s downsides is the lack of dry storage. The compartment in the center console can be used for this, but only if you don’t mount any electronics. Behind the seat is a 5-inch hatch that gives you access to the hull, but you will have to get a dry bag of some kind if you want to use this space.
Fishing: Kayakers are happy with the fishing features on this vessel, even though some could be a bit improved. The center console is designed so you can quickly mount a fish finder on top of it, and hide the battery and wires inside it. Furthermore, this Perception kayak has a scupper hole right in front of the console, so you can easily connect the transducer underneath.
Behind the seat, you will find two molded-in rod holders that are convenient but a bit shallow. On the floor (in front of the seat), you get a small storage area rigged with a bungee cord. It’s designed for a tackle box, but since it’s not very large, only small and flat boxes are going to fit there.
Comfort: The stadium-style seat you get is excellent. Kayakers say it gives proper support to your back thanks to its ergonomic shape. You can choose between two positions – upright and recline, and you can easily change between them while on the water. The kayak seat is made of mesh, so it dries off fast.
You might also be interested in:
Furthermore, the foot braces are easily adjustable, so you can rest your feet in the most comfortable position. This is a big advantage compared to the Perception Pescador 10 since this one is better for tall people. Finally, on your left-hand side, you will find a kayak paddle holder with a bungee cord.
Transportation: Considering the length of this kayak, it’s pretty lightweight. At 64 pounds most people will be able to carry the kayak, although it’s easier if you have some help. You will find a couple of soft padded handles at the bow and stern, as well as molded-in handles on both sides. Finally, this kayak comes with a replaceable skid plate that protects the hull when dragging it on the ground.
Durability: Customers say that this is a very sturdy vessel. The rotomolded HDPE body is impact- and abrasion-resistant, so you don’t really have to worry when you bump into something along the way. Besides, the vibrant colors won’t fade thanks to the added UV protection. If something goes wrong by any chance, you can rely on its 5-year warranty.
We really liked everything this kayak has to offer. It’s really user-friendly – easy to paddle, very stable, and has great tracking. The added features are very convenient and useful, and you have plenty of freedom to upgrade the kayak however way you want. You can use it for longer trips too and rely on it to perform even in choppy water or strong headwinds. This makes it a nice and versatile vessel you can take almost anywhere with you.
- Price: 95% – The asking price for the Perception Pescador 12 seems more than justified. It’s not overly expensive, and yet you still get plenty of features in a very durable package. It seems like a smart long-term investment and many happy users can back up this claim.
- Material: 95% – As with all high-quality kayaks, this one is also made from high-density polyethylene. This material shows exceptional strength and resistance to wear over time, so you won’t have to worry about kayak damage at all. Additionally, it’s made using the rotomolding process to eliminate any possible weak points.
- Design: 90% – The design of this sit-on-top kayak is innovative, although it could be a bit better. The tank wells are good, and the gear tracks and the mounting console are very useful. However, the scupper hole position perhaps isn’t the best, and the fishing rod holders could be made a bit better. As for the exterior, it looks great. We also like that you can choose between three colors when ordering.
- Overall: 93% – This is a very functional kayak that will certainly get the job done. There are really not that many downsides to it, while the upsides are obvious and really set it apart from other kayaks in this category.
Globo Surf Overview
The Perception Kayak Pescador Pro 12 is a respectable kayak that will put a smile on your face. It’s equipped with everything you need, and you can mount all of your additional gear when setting up your kayak for fishing.
Like we said earlier, thanks to the ample storage space and capacity, this one can also be used for multi-day trips or camping with your friends. There aren’t many products out there that can give you this much value for your money, so the Pescador Pro 12 is really worth looking into.
Single Hardshell Products reviews:
- Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 Fishing Kayak Review
- Sun Dolphin Aruba 10 Kayak Review
- Vibe Sea Ghost 130 Angler Kayak Review
- Sun Dolphin Journey 10 SS Kayak Review
- Sun Dolphin Bali SS 10ft Kayak Review
- Old Town Saranac 146 Canoe Review
- Ocean Kayak Malibu Two Tandem Kayak Review
- Wilderness System Tarpon 120 Fishing Kayak Review
- Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 12 Kayak Review
- Perception Pescador 10 Kayak Review
- FeelFree Lure 10 Kayak Review
- Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 Angler Kayak Review