Ocean Kayak Frenzy Sit-On-Top Recreational Kayak
- What Makes This Recreational Kayak Stand Out
- Very stable and maneuverable
- Comfortable seat
- Two storage areas
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Compact in size
Size: 9ft (L) x 31in (W) x 14in (H)
With this model, Ocean Kayak tried to keep things simple. It’s equipped with everything you need for a relaxing day on the water, without overloading it with features. Also, everything is in its place, making the Frenzy kayak very functional. You get a removable seat, bungee-corded storage areas, molded-in footwells, and a great hull design among other things. Take a peek at everything that this sit-on-top kayak has to offer:
- Comfort plus seat gives you additional support and raises the overall comfort level
- Molded-in footwells allow relaxing leg position
- Tankwells with removable bungee cords (bow and stern) for bringing some gear along
- Molded-in cup holder for keeping your beverage
- Soft carry handles make transportation easy
- Four scupper holes prevent the kayak from flooding
- Tri-Form hull design greatly improves stability and tracking
- A skid plate protects the hull from damage when dragging the kayak
Length: 9 feet
Width: 31 inches
Height: 14 inches
Weight: 44 pounds
Capacity: 325 pounds
Seat width: 18 inches
Leg length: 50 inches
Material: Single layer polyethylene
Warranty: Lifetime warranty on the hull
Colors: Envy (green/white) and Sunrise (yellow/red)
Usability: According to paddlers who have tried the Frenzy kayak, using it is incredibly fun. It’s easy to paddle the kayak because it’s very responsive. Perhaps one of the best things about it is its versatility – it can be used in different water conditions. It gives you a smooth ride with great tracking on calmer water (ponds and lakes), but it really shines when tackling some rough water like the ocean surf.
Since it’s a sit-on-top, it has a large and open cockpit. While this is great in terms of comfort, it doesn’t really give you much protection from wind and waves. This is why the Frenzy is best to be used during warmer months. In addition to this, it’s open and flat in the stern area, meaning you’ll get a good amount of splash and a wet seat when you find yourself in larger waves.
Stability: Thanks to the tri-form hull design, this kayak offers unparalleled stability. The hull is 31 inches wide to give you fantastic primary stability, while the triple section design increases the secondary stability preventing the kayak from flipping over when you lean too much on the side. This also helps significantly when you’re already in the water and need to get back in the kayak.
In addition to this, the Frenzy kayak features a full-length pronounced keel. This really helps with tracking and keeps the kayak in a straight line without much effort. Another thing that helps with stability are the four scupper holes included in the design of this kayak. These help in getting water out of the kayak and prevent the kayak from sinking too low.
All things considered, this is a pretty safe kayak. You really have nothing to worry about even if you find yourself in a rough situation. This being said, make sure you always wear a life jacket when out on the water. Also, be sure to familiarize yourself with ocean kayaking safety information if you’re going out on the open water.
Storage: Considering the compact size of this kayak, it offers nice storage options. However, it is a bit limited in terms of weight capacity, so be careful not to overload it if you don’t want to compromise performance. This kayak comes with two tankwell storage areas, one on each side of the kayak.
The one at the bow is smaller and can be convenient for a lunch cooler to keep all the snacks and beverages you need for the day. The tankwell in the back is larger and has plenty of space for a dry bag with your valuables or some additional clothing. Be mindful that the rear tank well is relatively open to the back, so the content inside will easily get wet. Both storage areas are rigged with bungee cords to easily secure your gear.
Comfort: Kayakers say that you’ll feel nice and comfy throughout the day in the Ocean Kayak Frenzy sit-on-top. The included kayak seat gives you good support, and it can be adjusted or completely removed. A downside is that it can be a bit tight and confining for larger people because it’s not very wide.
This kayak also comes with molded-in footwells (four on each side), so you have plenty of leg positions to choose from. This not only increases comfort and prevents pain in your knees, but also gives you a more stable position and a more efficient paddle stroke. Finally, this kayak features a drink holder in the middle (in front of your seat) to hold your water bottle or a cup with your favorite refreshment.
Portability: One of the best things about the Frenzy is how easy you can take it with you. At only 9ft long, it easily fits in the back of most pickup trucks. If you have several of these kayaks, they can easily be stacked into each other before securing them to the roof rack or your kayak trailer.
Additionally, the kayak comes with four ergonomic carry handles that make lifting and carrying the kayak a piece of cake. At just 44lbs, almost anyone can pick it up and carry it. If not, the hull is protected by a replaceable skid plate in the back, allowing you to safely drag it in and out of the water.
You might also like:
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler Review
Durability: Paddlers agree that this is a tough little kayak. The material is very strong, and it doesn’t show any signs of damage even after hitting rocks and other obstacles in the water or during transportation. As we mentioned, it features a skid plate that protects the hull from abrasion and damage.
Users who have owned this one for a long time, say that it’s really reliable and long-lasting. The lifetime warranty you get from Ocean Kayak certainly testifies in favor of this.
- Very comfortable sitting position
- Remains stable even in rough water
- Easy and enjoyable to handle
- Excellent for transportation
- Plenty of storage space
- Not great for large kayakers
- Not very fast
- No dry storage
- Price: 100% – We really like the price point of this kayak since it’s one of the most affordable ones you can get. It allows you to shop on a budget and be mindful of kayaking costs. Also, it’s a fantastic choice when you want to buy several kayaks for your whole family. Of course, just because it’s cheaper doesn’t mean it’s low-quality – this kayak gives you excellent value for every dollar you spend.
- Material: 90% – The material used in making this kayak is polyethylene, which is known for its high strength and durability. This means you have nothing to worry about when it comes to dents and scratches, which is a big plus in our book. Additionally, the colors won’t fade from sun exposure either.
- Design: 85% – This is a simple kayak made for enjoyment and relaxation. It’s not sophisticated in terms of features, but it’s still very comfortable and performs great. Thanks to the open design, you’ll get the most out of it when summer kayaking and in nice weather in general.
- Overall: 92% – We were impressed with how much punch this one has for such a compact vessel. It’s exciting to use on the water, especially in the surf. However, it will never compromise your safety. Combined with the fantastic price, there are really many things to like about this kayak.
Globo Surf Overview
Overall, the Ocean Kayak Frenzy leaves an overwhelmingly positive impression. It’s certainly one of the best in its class, and a fantastic choice if you’re looking for a compact and affordable recreational kayak that can give you some buzz. It’s so incredibly easy to use that many people choose it when learning how to kayak. This is a great way to have some fun and, considering it saves you money along the way, you really can’t go wrong with it!
Single Products Hardshell Reviews:
- FeelFree Lure 10 Kayak Review
- Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 Angler Kayak Review
- Perception Tribe 11.5 Review
- Wilderness Systems Aspire 105 Kayak Review
- Sun Dolphin Excursion 10 Sit-In Fishing Kayak Review
- Wilderness Systems Tsunami 125 Kayak Review
- Old Town Loon 120 Kayak Review
- Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Review
- Lifetime Sport Fisher Tandem Kayak Review
- Emotion Stealth Angler Kayak Review
- Old Town Kayak Twister Sit-On-Top Review
- A Review Of The Dagger Katana 10.4 Kayak
- Old Town Twin Heron Kayak Review