Many kayaks on the market are overloaded with features that an average user doesn’t even need. These make the kayak bulky and heavy and raise the price (of course). Unlike them, the Twister kayak aims to deliver all you need for an enjoyable trip, without making your boat impossible to carry or ruining your budget along the way. This is one of the main reasons why it’s so popular among kayakers. Take a look at what this recreational kayak has to offer:
- The molded-in seat is contoured, wide, and has a high backrest to fit different types of users
- Tankwell in the back is spacious and has bungee cords for securing your gear
- Molded-in carry handles at the bow and stern make transportation easier
- The cup holder in the middle makes it possible to have a refreshing beverage within hand’s reach
- Molded-in footwells allow a comfortable leg even for tall kayakers
- The skid plate on the hull protects it from damage when dragging the kayak
Length: 11 feet 3 inches
Width: 30 inches
Weight: 46 pounds
Capacity: 275 pounds
Seat width: 18 inches
Material: Single layer polyethylene
Warranty: Limited lifetime warranty on the hull
Usability: Users say that this is one of the best kayaks in this category, and a fantastic choice for recreation. It’s beginner-friendly, which is a huge plus – not all of us are seasoned kayakers with plenty of experience. This is a boat that will make you feel comfortable from the start, help you enjoy yourself, and practice your paddling technique at your own pace.
However, this doesn’t mean that the Old Town sit on top kayak is boring in any way. Being that it’s 11ft long, it can still pick up some speed when you need it to, and deliver some excitement. Additionally, it’s not too long either, so it remains agile and allows easy turns.
The Twister kayak performs best on calm water such as lakes and ponds, but the hull design allows it to tackle some waves too. While we’re mentioning the hull, you should know that its shape greatly improves maneuverability and stability.
As we mentioned, this is a sit-on-top kayak with a fully open cockpit. While this is a huge plus in terms of comfort, you don’t have any protection against splash and wind. This is why this boat and others like it works best when used for summer kayaking when you don’t really mind getting wet.
Stability: Thanks to its 30in wide hull this kayak is very stable, and the hull shape additionally contributes to primary stability. This makes getting in and out of the kayak much easier since it doesn’t feel like it’s going to tip over at any moment. This level of stability is important for all kayakers who are inexperienced and still have a small amount of fear.
As you can see, you have nothing to worry about in terms of kayaking safety. While it’s not recommended that you stand up inside it, users guarantee that the chance of you ending up in the water is really slim. Still, always be responsible and wear a life jacket, so you don’t find yourself in an unpleasant situation.
Storage: The manufacturer wanted to make this kayak light and simple, so it doesn’t really come with an abundance of storage. This being said, the tank well is really great. It deep and wide, so it has plenty of space for some gear. It’s also rigged with bungee cords, which keep the content from falling out. Since it’s easy to turn around and reach into it, the tank well is very convenient for keeping a lunch cooler with your snacks and beverages.
Unfortunately, this kayak doesn’t come with a dry storage compartment. A hatch would be useful to store some sensitive items, but a dry bag can do a good job too. While you have enough space for everything you need for a single day, this kayak is not the best choice for longer trips. If you plan on going on multi-day camping trips, you’d be better off with a camping kayak.
Comfort: Kayakers claim that the Old Town Twister gives you a surprising level of comfort, that you usually can’t expect from a molded-in seat. The reason for this is that it has an ergonomic shape, and the contours follow the lines of your body. Also, the backrest is raised to give you proper back support. It feels really nice, and you can be sure you won’t have an aching body afterward. Of course, you can always install a padded kayak seat and make things even better.
This kayak offers plenty of space for the kayaker. While the footrests aren’t adjustable, you get many molded-in footwells that allow you to find the most stable and comfortable position. You have around 45 inches of legroom at your disposal, which should be more than enough even if you’re tall.
Finally, the kayak is equipped with a bungee-corded paddle holder on the right side. While this is more of a convenience than a comfort feature, it allows you to secure your kayak paddle when you’re not using it, so you can have your hands free for other things.
You might also like:
Overall, this is not the most comfortable kayak out there, but there’s no doubt you’ll feel good even after several hours of sitting in it. However, if you want more comfort and luxury on your kayaking adventures, make sure to check out the Old Town Loon which raises the bar to a much higher level.
Portability: One of the best things about this kayak is how light it is – you won’t have any trouble carrying it on your own, as long as you know how to carry a kayak. It comes with two convenient molded-in carry handles at the bow and stern. You use them to pick up the kayak of course, but they are also useful when you need to strap the kayak to your roof rack. Finally, you can also safely drag this kayak over short distances (when getting it in and out of the water) because it has a protective skid plate on the hull.
- Price: 100% – We really like that you can get such a good kayak on a budget. The price is certainly one of the things that make the Twister kayak so attractive. When compared to its competition, not many kayaks in this price range can deliver the same level of quality, making this kayak an excellent value.
- Material: 90% – The material used is strong and very resistant to puncture, abrasion, and deterioration from sun exposure. Also, we appreciate the lifetime warranty on the hull because it shows that Old Town stands behind its products.
- Design: 85% – The design of this kayak is great, but a bit basic. Your sitting position is comfortable, but it doesn’t offer any adjustability. Furthermore, while we really like the storage tank well in the back, we feel that every kayak should at least have a small dry compartment.
- Overall: 92% – This is a fantastic kayak that we can honestly recommend to anyone looking to get into recreational kayaking, but still needs to be aware of the cost of kayaking. You can be certain that you’ll have a great time in this one, and also have peace of mind knowing it’s going to last for a long time.
Globo Surf Overview
The bottom line, the Old Town Twister is safe, stable, and very fun to use. In other words, this kayak is everything you need for a great day out on the water. Besides, since it’s so user-friendly, it makes a great choice if you’re new and wants to learn how to kayak. Finally, the fact that it’s so affordable is just a cherry on top. Give it a go, we guarantee you won’t regret it!
Single Products Hardshell Reviews:
- A Review Of The Dagger Katana 10.4 Kayak
- Ocean Kayak Caper Angler Review
- Perception Carolina 12 Kayak Review
- Vibe Yellowfin 100 Fishing Kayak Review
- Emotion Spitfire 9 Kayak Review
- Riot Kayaks Edge 14.5 LV Flatwater Day Touring Kayak Review
- Lifetime Manta Tandem Kayak Review
- Emotion Spitfire Tandem Kayak Review
- Vibe Skipjack 90 (And 120T) Kayak Review
- Sun Dolphin Camino 8 SS Kayak ReviewSaltwater Fishing Kayak
- Ocean Kayak Zest Two SOT Review
- Lifetime Tioga Kayak 120 (2 Pack) Review