Ocean Kayak Zest Two Sit-On-Top Tandem Kayak
- What Makes This Kayak Stand Out
- Space for two kayakers
- Excellent comfort
- Adjustable seats
- Fast on the water
- Good choice for long trips
Length: 16 feet 4 ½ inches
Width: 30 ½ inches
Weight: 75 pounds
Capacity: 600 pounds
The intent when designing this kayak was to make it comfortable and to allow you to enjoy long kayaking sessions or even multi-day trips. Many of the features you will find are there to make this possible, with everything oriented towards your enjoyment. Check out some of the most prominent features.
- Tandem kayak
- Custom-fit seats
- Four carry handles
- Oversized storage tanks
- Molded-in footwells
- Cup holders
- Paddle holders
Length: 16 feet 4 ½ inches
Width: 30 ½ inches
Weight: 75 pounds
Capacity: 600 pounds, to support the extra gear you need
Material: Single Layer Polyethylene
Usability: Despite the large size, the Ocean Kayak Zest is very user-friendly. It performs great in the water, no matter if it’s calm or the current is strong. Besides, it handles waves very well too. As long as you and your partner know how to paddle a tandem kayak, you can achieve solid speed with this one, since it easily glides on the water surface. It’s one of the fastest tandem kayaks available, so it’s a good choice if you like going faster.
Even though it is designed for two people, there are reports of people using it on their own. Surprisingly enough, it performs well in those situations too. However, the bow is going to be lifted out of the water a bit because of your position in the kayak. This makes things slower, but also allows solid maneuverability. Even so, if you plan on solo kayaking you should look at single-person touring kayaks.
As you know, this is a sit-on-top kayak. This means that you are not isolated inside the cockpit, but somewhat exposed to the water which can and will get inside. Even though you won’t be able to come across many users complaining about this, your seat and feet may get wet after some time. For this reason, this kayak is a much better choice for summer kayaking, than during the colder time of the year.
A big advantage of buying this vessel is the extra space it has in the front area. Even though it’s primarily designed for gear (as we’ll discuss later), it is spacious enough for an extra passenger. It isn’t suitable for another adult, but it’s excellent for your child when kayaking with kids, or your pet can be in it when kayaking with your dog. This is something that many users feel is a huge bonus.
This kayak is overall very convenient, and you will like the additional features such as molded cup holders in front of both kayakers, as well as the side-mounted kayak paddle holders to put them out of the way when you don’t need them. For many kayakers, it’s their go-to vessel when they want to cover large distances.
Storage capacity: Storage is a thing that every large kayak should have, but sometimes the design falls short and you get a lot of unused space. With this one, storage space really isn’t a problem. You get storage wells in both front and back, with the front one being significantly larger. Both have quick-release bungee cords for easy access and securing your gear in place.
You will have more than enough room for your deck bags or lunch coolers. Like we said, this space can also be used for another small passenger, without things getting too cramped. Unfortunately, this kayak doesn’t come with any dry compartments, which is something you should keep in mind.
As you had the chance to see, the Ocean Kayak Zest Two comes with a huge weight capacity. This is an added benefit because you can pack a heavy load too. For this reason, many people choose this vessel when planning an overnight kayaking trip and want to set up camp somewhere. It can easily hold your camping tent and all the other camping gear and gadgets you need, without the stability being compromised.
Comfort: Since it’s made for longer journeys too, comfort must be at a high level. Both users get foam kayak seats, which are easily adjustable and feel very soft even after sitting down for a while. People who own this one say you won’t have an aching body after many hours of paddling. Also, your position is much more stable because you won’t slip around like you would in a molded seat.
You might also like: Lifetime Tioga Kayak 120 (2 Pack) Review
A thing that enhances comfort is the molded footrests. There are many positions to choose from, so kayakers of any size can find a relaxing and stable position for their feet. All this allows you to stay comfortable in the kayak for much longer, especially compared to standard recreational kayaks.
Transportation: This is where it becomes tricky with this one – it’s over 16ft. long. The size can be a problem if you need to move the kayak on your own because the handles in the front and back are very far apart. It’s not so much about the weight of the kayak, but rather that you won’t be able to reach the handles on both sides.
This is why it’s much easier to have someone help you, so you can both grab a couple of handles. It will be even easier if you know how to carry a kayak properly. Of course, you can always get a kayak cart to help you move it from your car to the water.
Because of the size, you need to be careful when strapping the kayak to your roof rack. However, users say it’s not a big problem as long as you attach it firmly. Finally, you need to think about storage too, because it needs more space than your ordinary kayak as well as a strong kayak storage rack to hold it.
- Comfortable for users
- Great for multi-day trips
- Room for a child or pet
- Plenty of storage space
- Excellent stability under load
- Looks great
- Size can be a storage issue
- Can’t be carried by one person
This tandem kayak gets a very high rating from us, and it absolutely deserves it. You get a vessel that will make kayaking with a partner easier and more fun. It offers you everything you need for longer sessions, and you can count on it to last for many years.
- Price: 90% – Even though the price seems a bit steep at first glance, we would argue that it’s justified. After all, you get what you pay for, and with this one, you really get a lot. If you invest in a quality kayak like this one, it is going to prove its value over and over again for a long time.
- Material: 95% – Like all high-quality kayaks, this one is made of polyethylene. It’s a great choice of material, because it won’t easily get damaged by rocks and other things you may hit in the water, or if you accidentally hit it during transportation. Also, the vibrant colors you get on your new kayak won’t fade away when exposed to the sun.
- Design: 95% – This is probably the thing we liked most. As we said, it has more than enough room for two adults, but also your kid or dog. The storage space can be organized in many ways, and the weight capacity allows you to take anything you may need with you.
- Overall: 93% – It’s an excellent kayak that performs great, especially for a vessel this big. You have all the comfort you need throughout the day, and you can take breaks or camp wherever you want because you don’t have to choose which things you want to take with you.
Globo Surf Overview
The Ocean Kayak Zest Two is a fantastic choice if you’re after a tandem kayak. It’s not an ordinary tandem kayak either, but so much more. Many tandem kayaks can feel too cramped or perform weird on the water, but not this one. Both you and your partner are going to be happy with what this one has to offer in terms of convenience.
This is not one of those kayaks you take out for a couple of hours and need to head back because you feel a high level of discomfort. In fact, it’s quite the opposite – the Zest Two excels when used for touring and camping. We’re sure that if you give it a try, you’ll be more than satisfied.
Single Products Hardshell Reviews:
- Old Town Twin Heron Kayak Review
- Ocean Kayak Caper Angler Review
- Perception Carolina 12 Kayak Review
- Vibe Yellowfin 100 Fishing Kayak Review
- Emotion Spitfire 9 Kayak Review
- Riot Kayaks Edge 14.5 LV Flatwater Day Touring Kayak Review
- Lifetime Manta Tandem Kayak Review
- Emotion Spitfire Tandem Kayak Review
- Vibe Skipjack 90 (And 120T) Kayak Review
- Sun Dolphin Camino 8 SS Kayak ReviewSaltwater Fishing Kayak