When it comes to features, you can expect them to improve comfort and performance ahead of everything else. The Riot Kayaks Edge 14.5 incorporates many clever solutions in its design. It is in no way inferior to some longer and more expensive touring kayaks, which is a big plus. Check out some of its most prominent features.
- Pilot rudder system
- Adjustable seat
- Thigh braces
- Adjustable footrests
- Sealed bow and stern bulkheads
- Two dry compartments
- Reflective lifelines
Length: 14 feet 6 inches
Width: 22.5 inches
Height: 12 inches
Cockpit size: 36.5 x 19.5 inches
Hatch size: 15.75 x 8.13 inches
Weight: 60 pounds
Capacity: 325 pounds
Material: High-density polyethylene
Warranty: 5-year limited warranty
Performance: Kayakers are generally very satisfied with how this kayak performs. They share the opinion that it tracks really well, even in stronger currents and choppy water. The hull design of the Riot Edge 14.5 kayak allows it to maneuver smoothly, even though it’s a fairly long vessel.
Besides, this kayak is equipped with a rudder system. Users agree that it’s efficient and really easy to use. It helps you not just when making turns, but also to keep the kayak straight when tracking becomes more difficult in strong currents.
Since this is a sit-in kayak, you have a very low sitting position inside. This increases the efficiency of your kayak paddles, and also allows you to maintain the proper paddling technique with less effort. We mention this because it makes it easier to achieve greater speeds (of course, the hull design influences this too).
Even though this one is primarily designed for flat water such as lakes or calm coastal waters, users have tested it in other conditions and weren’t disappointed. However, if you intend to take your kayak on the open ocean and tackle some larger waves, it would be smart to get an ocean kayak because this type is built to withstand such circumstances.
Stability: For such a slim kayak, stability is surprisingly good. It’s narrower than most, but the hull is flat with hard chines giving it excellent initial stability. This prevents the kayak from feeling tippy, and increases your kayak safety, especially if you’re a beginner. Even though this design can often reduce the kayak’s ability to turn, the designers have managed to preserve its agility to a large extent, allowing you to make quick reactions when needed.
The bulkheads on this kayak are sealed and prevent any water from leaking from the cockpit into the hull. However, water can get in through the hatches if you leave them open. Because of this, the boat has a drain plug at the stern. Besides, there is a drain plug at the side of your cockpit too, which makes draining the kayak a lot easier.
With all this being said, you still have to be aware of your position in the kayak. When comparing a sit-inside vs. sit-on-top kayak, you have a lot less freedom of movement and time to react if something happens. This is why you should learn more about kayak self-rescue, as well as how to get back in the kayak after it had flipped over.
Cockpit: The dimensions of this cockpit are pretty standard. Kayakers say it will fit average and above-average people (a bit over 6ft tall), without making them feel too cramped. However, if you’re really tall, it can be a problem. The cockpit opening is large, and thanks to the high stability it’s really easy to get in the kayak.
The kayak seat is comfortable and adjustable to an extent. It’s made of plastic but has padding, and it’s wide enough for different body sizes. As for the adjustability, the back can be corrected to give you better support. However, you should know that this seat has a high back, and some users would have preferred it if it was lower.
To stabilize your seating position and make you comfy, Riot has equipped this kayak with an adjustable foot brace. Furthermore, there are thigh braces on the sides which not only increase comfort but are also very helpful when using your knees and body to lean in when turning the kayak.
Since you are sitting inside, you are sheltered from the direct impact of wind and waves. This makes it possible to use it even in lower temperatures, as long as you know what to wear kayaking. Additionally, you should expect some water to get inside the cockpit now and then, and this can be a problem in cold weather.
If you want to avoid this, you should look into getting a kayak spray skirt. On the other hand, you could just get a bilge pump to help you quickly remove the excess water.
You might also like: Lifetime Manta Tandem Kayak Review
Storage: When it comes to packing your gear, you have nothing to worry about. The Riot Edge 14.5 comes with two dry storage compartments that offer a lot of space, located at the bow and stern. Both are wide enough to fit large items inside, for example, a camping tent if you’re going on an overnight kayaking trip. These compartments have dual-density covers, which keep the inside contents dry. Additionally, the deck is rigged with bungee cords, allowing you to tie down some gear or a deck bag.
Transportation: Despite being light for its size, this kayak is still pretty heavy (if you look at it objectively). It has carry handles at the bow and stern, but it’s next to impossible for one person to carry the kayak because of its length and weight. Also, it won’t be able to fit in the back of your truck, so you have to consider getting a roof rack or a kayak trailer to transport it.
Whether you need a kayak to cover many miles when touring with your friends, or simply want a recreational kayak to relax in on a sunny day, this one offers something to everyone. We really like that it rides like a high-end kayak while still retaining many of the attributes that beginners look for.
- Price: 90% – It’s certainly an upside that it costs less than its competitors because this type of kayak often goes for a much higher price. This being said, it’s not the cheapest one around either (if you consider other types too). However, the exceptional quality of this vessel definitely justifies the asking price.
- Material: 95% – High-density polyethylene is an excellent choice because it’s rugged and tough. You can be worry-free when going out because accidental bumps won’t damage the hull. Also, Riot Kayaks makes this model from thermoformed PVC which is a bit lighter, but also a bit more expensive.
- Design: 90% – The Edge 14.5 is a sleek-looking kayak that is going to stand out on the lake. As for functionality, it seems you have everything you need for a nice day out. The cockpit adjustability allows good comfort, and your sitting position guarantees efficient paddling.
- Overall: 92% – We think very highly of this kayak because it managed to do something great – make high-end features and performance available to everyone. And what’s even better, this kayak allows you to use it during colder months too, which is a big plus in our book.
Globo Surf Overview
Overall, the Riot Edge 14.5 is an attractive touring kayak for a reasonable amount of money. You can expect great build quality and exceptional performance, even in tougher weather conditions. It’s really easy to maneuver while still being conscious of your safety. Additionally, you won’t have any trouble getting in and finding the optimal position. If you like its features, we guarantee you won’t be disappointed!
Single Products Hardshell Reviews:
- Oru Folding Kayak Review
- Perception Kayak Pescador Pro 12.0 Review
- Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 Fishing Kayak Review
- Sun Dolphin Aruba 10 Kayak Review
- Vibe Sea Ghost 130 Angler Kayak Review
- Sun Dolphin Journey 10 SS Kayak Review
- Sun Dolphin Bali SS 10ft Kayak Review
- Old Town Saranac 146 Canoe Review
- Ocean Kayak Malibu Two Tandem Kayak Review
- Wilderness System Tarpon 120 Fishing Kayak Review
- Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 12 Kayak Review
- Perception Pescador 10 Kayak Review