When it comes to features, it seems that the manufacturer used the available space optimally. Considering that the Lifetime tandem kayak is only 10ft long, it’s equipped with everything you need to enjoy yourself. Both paddlers get backrests, paddles, an elevated sitting position, and molded-in footrests for improved comfort. Among other things, you also get a storage area so you can bring some gear too. Take a look at everything that makes this kayak so outstanding:
- Molded “High and Dry” seats for two paddlers
- Sitting area for a third person (between the paddlers)
- Two aluminum paddles with adjustable blades
- Backrests are adjustable and increase your comfort
- Three carry handles for easy transportation
- Molded-in footrests for both paddlers
- Two paddle rests for securing the paddle
- The bungee-corded storage area at the bow
- Three cup holders for holding the beverage
- Self-bailing scupper holes drain water from the cockpit
Length: 10 feet
Width: 36 inches
Height: 19 inches
Weight: 60 pounds
Capacity: 500 pounds
Material: Low-density polyethylene (rotomolded), with UV protection
Paddle: 86.6 inches, aluminum shaft
Warranty: 5-year limited warranty
Included accessories: Two padded backrests, two paddles, scupper plugs
Usability: Users have plenty of nice things to say about this one. The Lifetime Manta Kayak is a joy to use, and very easy to maneuver. Furthermore, it has respectable tracking which makes paddling much easier. It’s best for summer kayaking and recreation on calm water, but the design allows it to handle some waves too.
One of the best things about this kayak is that it can be used by one to three people. If you want to use it solo, you just have to move the seat toward the middle and you’re good to go. On the other hand, it’s best if the third person is a child because an adult might make things cramped. Regarding this, make sure you and your paddling partner know how to paddle a tandem kayak, so everything goes smoothly on the water.
Two paddles are included in the package, which users really appreciate. They come in two pieces each, for easier transportation. The blades are adjustable to better match your paddling technique, and the shaft has a vinyl grip for increased comfort. The kayak has a paddle rest in front of both seats, so you can lay down your kayak paddle without it sliding into the water.
Even though this is a basic kayak, there is room for modifications. There are two fishing rod holders if you’re interested in kayak fishing. Furthermore, you can install a small sail on it to use the wind, and it also has a dedicated space in the back for installing a trolling motor.
Stability: This kayak is almost impossible to tip, which is a big plus in terms of safety. The body is much wider when compared to most kayaks, and it features a tunnel hull design that gives it fantastic primary stability. All this makes it very safe for children, so it’s obvious why so many parents choose it when kayaking with kids.
Another thing worth mentioning is that the kayak remains stable when you try climbing on from the side. This means that even if you somehow manage to fall out (not very likely), you can easily get back in the kayak without it flipping over when you push against the side.
Storage: In terms of storage, this recreational kayak doesn’t have much to offer. You won’t get any tank wells or dry storage compartments, which is a pity but not a dealbreaker. What you do get is bungee-corded quick storage in the front for holding smaller gear. There is enough room for a dry bag to keep your valuables, or a kayak cooler for storing food and cold drinks.
Comfort: Kayakers agree that it feels nice using the Lifetime sit on top kayak throughout the day. Even though you are in a molded seat, it’s ergonomically shaped and elevated from the cockpit floor in a “High and Dry” position, meaning you won’t be sitting in a puddle the whole day. Of course, you can always get a high-quality kayak seat and improve the comfort even further.
As we mentioned, you get two padded backrests in the package. These are comfortable and dry very quickly if they get wet. Installing and removing them is very easy since you only have to attach them to the existing eyelets. This kayak is also equipped with three bottle holders, and it’s always nice to have your drink within reach.
Since some water will inevitably splash inside the kayak, the manufacturer has included scupper holes underneath your feet, so the water can drain out freely. In case some splash ends up inside the hull, you can easily get water out by using the drain plug at the stern.
Portability: The Manta is much shorter than most tandem kayaks, which gives it a significant advantage over the competition. Since it’s not too long, you will often be able to carry the kayak on your own. It comes with two padded carry handles on the sides, as well as one molded-in handle at the bow for dragging it in and out of the water.
Furthermore, it can fit into the back of your pickup truck (if you have one). If not, you can always get a roof rack for your vehicle to easily transport the kayak.
Durability: Users who have owned this model for many years say that it can handle some abuse. The tough build allows you to take it out numerous times and still have it perform like new. Of course, the body is going to get scratched over time, but that is really not a big deal. On top of this, it’s nice knowing that you get a 5-year warranty if something goes wrong.
- Price: 95% – When it comes to price, we think it’s more than reasonable. If you consider that two (or three) people can use the Lifetime tandem kayak, its value becomes even more apparent. Your kayaking cost is going to be much lower when compared to buying two separate kayaks. And what’s even better, you get a really well-made product.
- Material: 85% – The body is made of low-density polyethylene, which shows good durability. We like that it’s tough and doesn’t get dented or punctured easily. Furthermore, the UV protection is a nice touch since it prevents color fading and material deterioration over time.
- Design: 90% – For the most part, the design is fantastic. Rarely do you see someone make such a good cockpit in a 10ft kayak? Both paddlers are going to feel comfortable in this kayak. On the other hand, it lacks storage space and some more sophisticated features, but this isn’t a problem for most people.
- Overall: 90% – All things considered, we would really recommend this sit-on-top kayak to anyone who wants to go kayaking with a partner. This is a great vessel that you are going to love for a long time.
Globo Surf Overview
As you had the chance to see, the Lifetime Manta Kayak is a fun and versatile kayak that you can enjoy on your own, but it’s much better if you bring someone along for the ride. Thanks to the design and overall build quality, it really stands out when compared to other tandem kayaks because it offers much more.
Additionally, it’s a great choice if you want to learn how to kayak since it’s so stable and maneuverable. You really won’t be able to find a much better deal for this amount of money. Give it a try, we’re sure you won’t be disappointed!
More Kayak Reviews:
- Whitewater Kayak
- Kids Kayak
- Inflatable Fishing Kayak
- Kayak Cooler
- Kayak Accessories
- Kayaking In Miami
- Lifetime Sport Fisher Kayak
- How To Kayak
- Kayaking In Austin
- Kayak Camping Trip
- Lifetime Manta 100 Tandem Kayak, lifetime.com