This kayak is full of useful features to make your day more comfortable, including an improved seat that gives you great back support. It also has plenty of storage space, rod holders, and gear mounts. What’s even better, both the Skipjack 90 fishing kayak and the longer 120T tandem kayak has all of these. Take a look at what makes the Skipjack so outstanding.
- Built-in seat
- Four flush mount rod holders
- Molded-in handles
- Sealed dry compartment (120T has two)
- Front and rear tank well storage with bungee lacing
- Tackle tray
- Rectangular gear mount base
- Two side paddle parks with bungee
- Paddle rest (120T has two)
- Six scupper holes with plugs included
- Four great-looking color schemes
Length: 9 feet (12 feet 2 inches for the 120T)
Width: 32 inches (35 inches)
Weight: 46 pounds (72 pounds)
Capacity: 300 pounds (500 pounds)
Hatch size: 6 inches (120T has two)
Material: High-density polyethylene, rotomolded, single piece
Warranty: Limited lifetime warranty on defects, 1 year on parts attached
Included accessories: Journey paddle (two with 120T), padded seat, flush mount rod holders, paddle holders, gear mounts
Usability: This kayak is highly appreciated among users. Even though the Vibe Kayaks Skipjack 90 is designed for fishing, it is often used for recreational purposes too. It’s easy to maneuver and tracks really well, so it’s a good vessel for those who want to learn how to kayak. Users really like that Vibe includes the highly efficient Journey paddles in the package – one for the Skipjack 90 and two for the Skipjack 120T.
Stability: Thanks to its wide hull, this kayak offers fantastic primary stability. Kayakers say it doesn’t feel tippy at all and even allows you to stand up when casting the bait or reeling in your catch. Of course, this also depends on your own balance.
This top-notch stability is what makes it so attractive to beginners. It eliminates the fear of flipping over and allows you to gradually accustom yourself to the vessel and its performance in the water. Of course, you should always wear a kayak life jacket, even though it’s very difficult to flip.
Fishing: Kayakers agree that the rod holders are very useful. They are well-positioned so the fishing rods stay out of your way. Also, the holders are differently shaped now, which prevents the rods from moving around inside. If you’re going to primarily use it for fishing, it’s not a bad idea to get a kayak anchor too, so you can remain in place instead of drifting.
Both versions come with a rectangular gear mount base with screws, so you can easily mount your fish finder if you want to. The Skipjack 90 includes a tackle tray which is convenient not just for tackle, but other small items you need close at hand. The 120T doesn’t have this feature but has plenty of room for a tackle box.
On both sides, you will find paddle holders with bungee cords, which are very convenient to store the paddle when you reach your favorite fishing destination. Additionally, it has grooves that serve as a quick paddle rest. Users say these are convenient when you need to quickly let go of the kayak paddle so you can grab the fishing rod with both hands.
Storage: You don’t have to worry about storage if you get this kayak. It comes with tank wells in front and back, with bungee lacing to hold down your gear. In the middle, you get a V-wave hatch that is easy to open, but very efficient in blocking out water.
The compartment itself is lined with a fully waterproof PVC bag, so it’s safe to store your phone, keys, and other valuables. The tandem version has two of these hatches, one for each user.
Comfort: Users say that the new seat is better than the old one in terms of overall comfort, while the adjustability stayed the same. The kayak seat is lined with mesh for improved breathability and has padding for a softer feel. The ergonomic back is adjustable using straps and held in place by bungee cords. An additional upside is that the seat dries off really quickly.
This kayak comes with molded-in footrests that are comfortable even for taller kayakers. Finally, both versions have molded-in cup holders that are very convenient to keep your beverage in.
Transportation: The 9-foot Vibe Skipjack 90 is a joy to own. It’s so lightweight that most people can carry it on their own, and it will fit in the back of your truck or SUV (most of the time). This is a really big advantage because it allows you to take it anywhere with you.
You might also like: Sun Dolphin Camino 8 SS Kayak – Saltwater Fishing Kayak
As for the tandem version, it’s both longer and heavier. However, you will have a paddling buddy and the two of you shouldn’t have any problems while carrying the kayak. As for transporting it, this 12-foot kayak won’t be able to fit in the back, so you either need to get a roof rack or invest in a kayak trailer.
Finally, these kayaks can be stacked on top of each other because the seat is foldable. This is an important piece of information for kayakers that want to buy several of these since it allows you to save space and tie them down together when transporting.
Overall, this is a really solid kayak. It’s not going to win any races, but you can rely on it. We like the improved stability because it gives users peace of mind when it comes to kayaking safety. It has everything you need at the beginning but also allows you to easily modify it if you want. All this, as well as the overwhelmingly positive user experiences, makes a great recommendation for the Vibe kayak Skipjack.
- Price: 95% – This is a kayak that won’t put a big load on your budget, but it’s a really great value. Even more so if you’re aware of the build quality because you can expect it to last for quite some time. We really appreciate that Vibe has made it affordable to everyone.
- Material: 90% – The body of this kayak is made of high-density polyethylene, which is used very often throughout the kayak industry. It’s strong, rugged, and doesn’t deteriorate over time. You don’t have to worry that the hull will get punctured if you hit a rock.
- Design: 95% – The design is really likable and convenient. Even the previous model was well-accepted among users, and this one takes everything to a higher level. We like that they made the seat better, and modified the storage space and the holders. Besides, we think that all four color schemes look great and really add to the overall impression.
- Overall: 93% – If you’re after a budget-friendly kayak that you can use for both fishing and recreation, this one should definitely be on your list. As we see it, this sit-on-top kayak is a step ahead compared to the previous model.
Globo Surf Overview
We really liked the Vibe Skipjack 90 and all it has to offer. It’s a beginner-friendly kayak that is going to make you fall in love with kayaking. It’s spacious, comfortable, and easy to use. As we said, it comes with rod holders and a gear mount base, making it really easy to create your own kayak fishing setup.
Furthermore, we really like that Vibe includes paddles with both versions of the Skipjack. This saves you a lot of money in the beginning and reduces the overall kayaking cost, which is important to many. If you’re looking for a starter kayak for fishing or just relaxing on the lake, this is an obvious choice.
Single Products Hardshell Reviews:
- Oru Folding Kayak Review
- Perception Kayak Pescador Pro 12.0 Review
- Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 Fishing Kayak Review
- Sun Dolphin Aruba 10 Kayak Review
- Vibe Sea Ghost 130 Angler Kayak Review
- Sun Dolphin Journey 10 SS Kayak Review
- Sun Dolphin Bali SS 10ft Kayak Review
- Old Town Saranac 146 Canoe Review
- Ocean Kayak Malibu Two Tandem Kayak Review
- Wilderness System Tarpon 120 Fishing Kayak Review
- Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 12 Kayak Review
- Perception Pescador 10 Kayak Review
- FeelFree Lure 10 Kayak Review