Thanks to the abundance of well-designed features, you’re in for a relaxed day of fishing and enjoying the water. This tandem kayak is incredibly easy to set up, offers all-day comfort, and has pre-installed rod holders so you can set them aside while you wait for the fish to bite. Take a quick look at everything the Cormorant has to offer:
- Extra tough PVC body is resistant to tears and hook punctures
- Three separate inflatable chambers for added security
- Quick and easy setup with the included dual-action pump
- Two non-inflatable padded seats are easy to install and adjust
- Six fishing rod holders (2 full-action, 2 vertical, 2 trolling)
- Six mesh pockets on the sides for quick gear stashing
- A removable mesh bag in the back for carrying extra gear
- Two easily adjustable lightweight paddles included
- A nice accessory bundle for quick setup and easy repair if needed
Length: 118 inches
Width: 35 inches
Depth: 16 inches
Weight: 27 pounds
Capacity: 450 pounds
Material: 18-gauge 1000D PVC, tarpaulin, nylon
Folded size: 26 x 16 x 8 inches
Included accessories: Two paddles, two adjustable seats, mesh storage bag, double-action hand pump with gauge, six rod holders, skeg, carry bag, repair kit
Performance and Stability: People who own this kayak are generally very happy with their performance. Most of them agree that it’s great for beginners and experienced paddlers alike. The streamlined bottom makes it very easy to maneuver, while the width makes it really stable on the water. It performs best on flat water, but it can handle some waves too. However, it’s not recommended that you use it in white water.
As we mentioned earlier, the package includes two lightweight kayak paddles. They have a twist-and-lock design, allowing you to easily adjust the length and disassemble them. Kayakers say that they are good and that paddling the tandem kayak is fairly easy. Tracking is also very satisfactory, and Elkton Outdoors equips the kayak with a removable skeg to further improve it.
Comfort: When it comes to comfort, people’s opinions are split. Everyone agrees that the included kayak seats are great and comfy enough to sit in for several hours. This is thanks to their ergonomic design, as well as the gel padding that prevents discomfort. Also, the seats are easy to adjust and remove, so you have plenty of options when organizing the cockpit.
However, the space inside the cockpit is a problem for some people. When both seats are in and the mesh bag is in its place in the back, there is not much space left inside for any additional gear. So, if you’re bringing a tackle box, make sure it’s a smaller one that can fit. Also, space can be a bit tight for two very large people, and users say it’s a lot more functional and relaxed when kayaking with kids.
Construction and Design: The strength of this inflatable kayak is something everybody points out. You really can’t beat its 18-gauge 1000D PVC construction, and many anglers testify that it easily withstands even rougher handling. The best thing about it is that you can’t pierce it with a hook, so you can fish without worries.
As for the design, it’s a highly functional and good-looking kayak. We already discussed the body shape and stability, but we also want to add that the cockpit additions include mesh pockets and a mesh bag in the back to store some of the gear. Some people choose to take it out and make a nice little space for a kayak cooler or a traditional dry bag.
Fishing: The main angler accessories on this kayak are the six-rod holders for your fishing rods. Two full-action holders rotate, as well as 4 vertical holders. Besides, there are paddle holders on both sides so both anglers can safely rest the paddles while handling their rods.
The versatility of this kayak allows it to be used solo, giving you a good option when you don’t have a fishing buddy for the day. Many anglers have equipped this model with a kayak anchor, and say it works great to prevent drifting. On the other hand, this type of inflatable kayak doesn’t come with a mount for a trolling motor.
Setup: According to most experiences, the whole setup process can be finished within 10 minutes. This is a big plus since you don’t have to waste precious time, but can instead get more time on the water. As we mentioned earlier, the kayak comes with a dual-action hand pump. It’s pretty effective and has a gauge to monitor the pressure.
However, if inflating the kayak manually is difficult for you, we recommend that you get an electric pump. This model consists of three air chambers with separate valves. When you’re done and it’s time to go home, the valves release air quickly and you can have the kayak packed and ready to go quickly.
Portability: Perhaps the biggest advantage of all inflatables is their portability. Unlike hardshell kayaks, they can be packed into a trunk and go anywhere with you. The Cormorant is fairly compact when deflated and easily fits into the included carry bag.
Also, this model is easy to move when inflated too. It comes with carrying handles on the front and back, so you and your partner can move it to the water. Thanks to the weight of only 27lbs, it’s also possible to carry the kayak on your own without any problems.
- Price: 90% – Even though the price might look a bit steep at first glance, it’s pretty justified considering the construction quality of this kayak, as well as all features it comes with. Besides, the manufacturer sells it with all the equipment you need for setup and transportation, saving you the additional cost of buying it separately.
- Material: 100% – The top-quality materials are probably the best thing about this kayak. The PVC construction with Tarpaulin and nylon reinforcements really takes things to a higher level. If you take care of it properly, you can be sure this kayak will last for many years.
- Design: 90% – We generally like the design of this kayak. It is stable, performs well, and the seats are well-placed and comfy. The rod holders are excellent and their number and position give you plenty of fishing options. On the other hand, we think that the cockpit could be a bit larger, as the room you have for some extra gear is pretty limited.
- Overall: 93% – All things considered, this is an excellent fishing kayak. While it won’t be the first choice for experienced anglers, it’s an excellent pick for beginners and people who appreciate portability.
Globo Surf Overview
For all of us who enjoy some company while paddling, the Elkton Outdoors Cormorant is a smart choice. As we mentioned in the text above, it’s easily one toughest inflatable kayaks you’ll find. Of course, let’s not forget the included fishing accessories that allow you and your paddling buddy to cast the bait and catch some fish. Even though it’s an inflatable, you can be sure it will perform as any traditional fishing kayak. With all its advantages and flaws, we really like this kayak and consider it a good deal.
More Kayak Reviews:
- Recreational Kayak
- Fishing Canoe
- Kayak Cooler
- Kayak Accessories
- Kayak Anchor
- Sevylor Quikpak K5
- How To Get In A Kayak
- Snow Kayaking
- Wetsuit Vs Drysuit Kayaking
- Kayak Paddle Drip Rings
- Cormorant Inflatable 2 Person Fishing Kayak Set, elktonoutdoors.com