Since Citizen designed this watch for diving, it has many things a great dive watch needs so it can be used underwater. The Citizen BN0151 09L is extremely tough, water-resistant, incredibly easy to read, and able to charge itself. All of this makes it a great choice when preparing for a dive holiday. Take a quick peek at everything it has to offer:
- The stainless steel casing is tough and durable
- Dark blue dial face with an anti-reflection window
- Three luminous hands for telling time easily
- Unidirectional bezel with grooves and minute marks
- Eco-Drive solar-powered technology so you never have to replace the battery
- Screw-down crown to seal the watch tightly when underwater
- Crown and date window in convenient 4 o’clock position
- The rubber strap is long enough to wear over clothing
- Dive table printed on the strap
Case diameter: 48mm (43 not counting the crown)
Case thickness: 12mm
Case Material: Stainless steel
Dial: Blue color, three luminous hands
Calendar: Date window
Bezel: Unidirectional, stainless steel
Band length: 10in
Band Material: Polyurethane
Lug width: 20mm
Weight: 15.2 ounces
Water resistance: 660ft/20Bar, ISO6425 certification
Movement: Japanese Quartz
Warranty: 5-year warranty, 30-day money-back guarantee
Design: Divers and watch enthusiasts say that the Citizen Promaster Diver feels really good on your wrist. The 48mm steel case has a brushed matte finish and looks really subtle. Also, people like the 4 o’clock crown position on this watch, since it’s less likely to poke you when moving your wrist.
While talking about the crown, it’s worth noting that it’s a screw-down crown that guarantees the watch is sealed perfectly. When unscrewed, you have two positions for adjusting the date and time. The date window is also at the 4 o’clock position, and blends into the dial nicely. However, you do need to adjust the date monthly since it always goes to 31.
The blue dial on this watch looks really stylish, and divers say that the luminous hands make it really easy to tell time even in low-light conditions. On the other hand, the mineral glass on this watch is non-reflective, so you can use it in sunny weather too.
One of the things people particularly like about this watch is the bezel. It’s unilateral (moves in only one direction), and has many grooves for an easier grip. It has minute increments and Arabic numerals at 10-minute intervals. Besides, the 12 o’clock position is luminous too.
Finally, we need to mention the strap. It’s made of high-quality polyurethane but it can feel a bit stiff in the beginning. On the upside, it’s long enough to easily wear over a wetsuit. Overall, divers are happy with this watch, and many recommend it to friends who are just getting into scuba diving.
Diving and everyday use: According to many people who tried it underwater, this watch performs exceptionally well. Unlike many other watches (that claim to be for diving but leak as soon as they are submerged for a few minutes), the Citizen BN0151 09L has been thoroughly tested and awarded the ISO 6425 certificate. The manufacturer guarantees you can take it up to 660ft of depth without causing any damage to the watch.
The Promaster Diver isn’t exactly lightweight, but you can expect that from a diving watch. However, people say that it doesn’t feel heavy on your wrist and that you almost forget it’s there when underwater. It’s easy to operate even with dive gloves on, and the build materials make it perfectly suitable to use in both salt and fresh water. The watch also features a neat dive table for air diving on the side. So, if you don’t own a sophisticated diving computer, this one can be a useful piece of your freediving equipment too.
Battery: In addition to being a dive watch, the Promaster Diver is a solar watch at the same time. This means that the battery is rechargeable and you don’t ever need to replace it. This watch uses the patented Eco-Drive technology and has a small solar panel underneath the dial that collects both natural and artificial light to charge the battery.
It charges pretty quickly and regular light exposure while wearing should be more than enough, and people find it incredibly convenient. At the same time, this light exposure also makes the hands glow in the dark as an added benefit.
Durability: One of the best things about this watch is certainly its durability. As we mentioned earlier, the casing is extremely tough and able to withstand some abuse without any leaks. However, make sure you screw in the crown before going on a dive since that’s the only point where water can get in.
The band is also very durable and the fact that it’s made of rubber makes it great for water. As we said, it’s very easy to replace if something happens to it or you need a different one. However, we must point out that some people say the mineral glass window can be scratched, so keep that in mind. The battery we discussed previous maintains most of its charging ability even after 20 years of use, which is remarkable.
Even though this is a truly low-maintenance watch, it still doesn’t hurt to learn a thing or two about dive watch maintenance, so your watch can last longer. Finally, owners really appreciate the 5-year warranty you get with this watch since it shows the manufacturer really believes in the product.
You might also like: Diving Weights
- Price: 95% – Considering the level of quality, we think that the asking price is a real bargain. When it comes to features and construction, it can easily be compared with watches that are significantly more expensive. We like that Citizen offers an affordable and very reliable option for anyone who wants to enjoy a great dive watch.
- Material: 90% – One of the best things about this watch is how well it’s made. The stainless steel case is extremely tough, and easily withstands submerging to great depths without any leaks. We also like the non-reflection mineral glass, since it makes telling time much easier. However, even though the strap is tough and well made, it can be uncomfortable and stiff until you get used to it.
- Design: 95% – The design of this watch is amazing. The Citizen BN0151 09L is sleek but has everything a great dive watch should have – hands that are always visible, useful bezel, a dive table, and top-level water resistance (of course), giving you much more than your ordinary waterproof watch.
- Overall: 93% – The Promaster Diver impressed us all the way – it’s a reliable watch that works in any circumstance. We love that it’s beautiful to use for casual wearing too, giving you an extra option that many other watches don’t have.
Globo Surf Overview
Bottom line, the Citizen Promaster Diver BN0151-09L is one of the best choices you can make if you’re looking for an affordable dive watch with the top-level build quality and features. It’s comfortable to wear, easy to read in any situation, and has plenty of neat features that you will find useful underwater. Also, this is a beautiful watch and a great choice for everyday use too. Finally, thanks to the solar-powered Eco-Drive system, you can forget about maintenance and just enjoy wearing it. There are many reasons to put it on your dive checklist, so give it a go and see what the other divers are talking about.
Single Scuba Products Reviews:
- Cressi Giotto Dive Computer Review
- Cressi Leonardo Dive Computer Review
- Stuhrling Aquadiver Dive Watch Review
- Suunto Zoop Novo Dive Computer Review
- Mares Smart Wrist Dive Computer Review
- Oceanic Geo 2.0 Dive Computer Review
- Seiko Diver SKX009K1 Dive Watch Review
- Casio Men’s Sport Analog Dive Watch Review
- AquaJet Dive H2 – Flying Hydrodynamic Underwater Scooter Review
- Cosmic Plus Dive Computer By Deepblu Review
More Watch Reviews:
- Seiko Skx007k
- Orient Ray 2
- Citizen Bm8180-03e
- Invicta 8926ob
- Stuhrling Aquadiver
- Seiko Skx009
- Casio Mrw-200h
- Luminox Navy Seal 3001