To be honest, this inflatable SUP isn’t loaded with features. This being said, it has everything you need for a comfortable and exciting ride. Since speed is the main focus here, the manufacturer didn’t want to include too many additions to compromise it. Take a quick look at what the iRace has to offer:
- Diamond grooved deck pad gives your feet a good grip for paddling or exercise
- Carry handle in the center to easily pick it up
- Nose D-ring for towing the board
- Tail D-ring for attaching an ankle leash
- Narrow profile makes it really fast in the water
- Fin configuration guarantees great tracking
- The included fiberglass SUP paddle is lightweight and easy on your arms
Length: 12 feet 6 inches
Width: 30 inches
Thickness: 6 inches
Weight: 27 pounds
Capacity: 400 pounds
Nose rocker: 4 inches
Packed size: 1ft x 33in
Inflates to: 15PSI
Material: Military-grade PVC with drop-stitch construction
Warranty: 2 years
Included accessories: Three-piece fiberglass paddle, hand pump, detachable center fin, repair kit, several D-rings, carry handle
Performance: The best thing about the Tower iRace SUP is its performance. Users say that it’s a great balance between recreational and racing boards, and gives you the best from both. This board can easily compete with many hard racing boards, something that not many other inflatable SUP can claim.
On the other hand, it’s much more stable than your average racer board. Combined with the speed and the ease of paddling, this board is a joy to use for touring since it easily covers large distances. The detachable center fin significantly helps with tracking, and the 3-piece fiberglass paddle makes paddling efficient without putting too much strain on your arms and shoulders.
Paddleboarders claim that you will get the most out of the iRace on flat water, where it really shines. However, you don’t have to worry about getting tossed from the board if you try to tackle some waves. The nose design certainly helps when cutting through the water.
In addition to this, users say that it handles best when it’s fully inflated at 15PSI. The manufacturer says that you can use it when inflated to 10PSI, but it won’t be rigid enough. As we mentioned, you get a hand pump in the package. The pump has a gauge to control the pressure, but users say that pumping with it can be hard. You should think about getting an electric pump if you want to make things easier.
Stability: Riders say that the iRace has a great balance of width and length. At 30 inches, it’s wide enough to be stable without compromising speed. It’s also 6 inches thick (more than most other inflatables), giving you a firm and stable platform under your feet. In addition, it’s long enough so that even tall riders feel safe on it.
The deck is covered with a diamond grooved pad which feels great under your feet and prevents slipping. The deck pad also gives you the option of doing some exercises or trying out some yoga poses while on the water. On the other hand, users say that the pad tends to get hot if left out in the sun, so keep that in mind.
Overall, riding it feels really close to using a hard board, but it offers more stability than other boards designed strictly for racing. Even if this is the case, you should always think about your safety when on the water. Use the rear D-ring to attach an ankle leash, and always wear a life vest to stay safe even if you fall into the water.
Durability: Riders are surprised with the toughness of the iRace – you don’t have to worry about damage or punctures if you hit the board on something along the way. It’s incredibly rigid and barely shows any flex even when under a lot of weight. Some people have even driven a car over it, and it didn’t cave in. Like other Tower paddle boards, the iRace comes with a 2-year warranty to show you that the manufacturer believes in and stands behind their product.
Portability and Storage: Like other inflatable SUPs, the iRace can go anywhere with you. At only 27lbs, anyone can carry it. When inflated, it has a nice carry handle in the middle so you can comfortably pick it up. Furthermore, it’s very compact when packed, about as big as your average sleeping bag. In terms of transportation, inflatable SUPs are much more convenient when compared to hard SUPs.
With this one, you don’t need a roof rack – just throw it in the trunk of your car and go. Unfortunately, it comes without a travel bag. Getting a nice SUP board bag is going to make things much more convenient for both carrying and storing.
As we before, it’s small when packed. This means that you can store it wherever you want, unlike a hard board which requires a lot of space. Additionally, users say that this board is really easy to clean and maintain. Most of the time, you only need to rinse it off with clean water before drying and packing it.
- Price: 95% – We think that the whole package is a great deal. Not only do you get a racing SUP that costs a lot less than most of its competition, but you also get a pump and a fiberglass paddle included (instead of having to buy them separately).
- Material: 100% – All Tower paddle boards are known for their top-level quality, and this one is no exception. Made of military-grade PVC, it can handle almost anything you throw its way. With this one, you can paddle without having to worry that the board is going to lose air in the middle of the lake.
- Design: 90% – We are a bit split when it comes to design. The deck is relatively empty, and, as we said earlier, it could really use some bungee cords for strapping some gear. On the other hand, the shape and dimensions of the board are almost perfect, allowing the user to enjoy all the benefits of paddleboarding without much effort or any difficulties.
- Overall: 95% – The overall impression is quite positive. If you don’t really mind the few downsides we pointed out, we’re sure that you’re going to enjoy this board, no matter where or how you use it.
Globo Surf Overview
For all of you looking for a stable board that can excite you with its speed, the Tower iRace should be on your list. Based on all the things we discussed above, it’s a good choice for different types of users – beginners, experienced riders, racers or people who simply enjoy touring. In addition to the fact that riding it feels great, the overall quality guarantees you’ll be able to use it for many years. It offers more than most boards at this price point, so we can honestly recommend it.
More Paddle Reviews:
- Irocker Paddle Board
- Bamboo Paddle Board
- Bestway Hydro Force SUP
- Hala Paddle Board
- Soft Top Paddle Board
- Tower Xplorer 14
- Serene Life Sup
- Serenelife Paddle Board
- Why Do I Need A Sup Leash
- SUP Deck Rigging
- Tower iRace 12’6”, towerpaddleboards.com