You made a large investment in your scuba diving gear, however, with proper care that gear will last for years. Sometimes it is the little things that can impact the life of your gear, something that you did not consider. After each dive day, you should clean your equipment. It will extend the life of your gear and keep it from taking on odors. When clean, the items need to dry. Wetsuits and drysuits should be hung inside out, in a location with good ventilation and out of direct sunlight. Grabbing a household hanger might sound like the right thing to do. You may damage your suit and shorten your life if you do.
Your gear is heavy when it is wet, a wetsuit especially. You can not wring the water out of a wetsuit like you can a t-shirt. Neoprene, the material that wetsuits are made of, has microscopic bubbles in it. These bubbles are what give the suit its buoyancy and thermal properties. Wringing out neoprene will burst the bubbles and reduce the function of the material. You will need a hanger that will support the weight of a water-filled suit.
- Using a hanger made with high-quality, rigid material will help prevent deformation and damage to our diving equipment. Flexible materials create inconsistency in the way your gear rests.
- Using a hanger made of biodegradable plastic ensures that we avoid contaminating the ocean as the hanger wears down. If using metal hangers, be sure that you use stainless steel to avoid degradation from the salt content in the water and air.
- Hangers should have smooth edges so that our equipment does not suffer any damage or abrasions. Quickly removing your gear can result in damage quickly if the edges and corners are even slightly sharp.
Professional Scuba Diver
How To Choose A Scuba Gear Hanger – Buying Guide
Considering the weight and nature of the scuba gear they carry, your scuba gear hanger should first be able to support the weight of the gear. Furthermore, depending on the material it is molded from, properties such as anti-corrosive, weather-resistant and non-staining should also be considered to ensure its durability.
Most scuba gear hangers are made from heavy plastic, such as plastic resin, giving it hard, non-corrosive, nonstaining, and weight-bearing properties.
You might also like: Mares Nemo Wide Dive Computer Review
A proper hanger for scuba gear is designed to be able to fit and carry the gear. A good design incorporates the following;
- The shoulder tips of the hanger are inverts to face upwards rather than stretch to prevent the suit from slipping off
- For regulators, the inverted T-hook design of the hanger allows for draping the regulator hoses from the hanger whilst preventing it from slipping onto the floor.
Q: Why Do I Need A Scuba Gear Hanger?
A scuba gear hanger is important to dry your gear as well as properly storing it to maintain its shape thus, prolonging its usage time.
Q: How To Properly Use A Scuba Gear Hanger?
Rinse your gear with fresh water to remove all the salt from the equipment, fit the suit into the hanger, and drape over the regulator hose then leave to dry in a well-ventilated area out of direct sunlight.
Without a doubt, we all agree why these underrated scuba gear hangers are quite essential. They keep your gear dry, safe and maintain their shape so that they can be used longer, and they maintain their durability. The 10 best scuba gear hangers in 2023 listed above, have also further made their mark and proven their worth. So with whatever scuba gear hanger above you choose to invest in, you are on the right track!
More Scuba Accessories Reviews:
- Scuba Masks With Purge Valve
- Travel BCDs
- Dive Slates
- Underwater Signaling Devices
- Gifts For Scuba Divers
- Underwater Scooters
- Dive Bags
- SMB For Scuba Diving
- Dive Knives