The Striker 4cv is from Garmin, one of the most trusted brands in the global market for fish finders and GPS. Rightfully, you can expect that it packs innovative features that will make this device a must-have in your fishing trip checklist! Best of all, it is affordable!
- Garmin CHIRP 77/200 kHz transducer for extreme clarity
- ClearVü™ scanning sonar
- Split-screen display to show more information
- 3.5-inch bright display with LED backlight
- Built-in GPS for easily marking your spots
- IPX7 waterproof construction to withstand a depth of one meter up to 30 minutes
- Temperature sensor for accurately detecting water conditions
- Upgradeable transducer but must be purchased separately
Screen Size: 3.5” diagonally
Display Type: HVGA Color
Display Resolution: 480 x 320 pixels
Maximum Depth: 1,750 feet in freshwater, 830 feet in saltwater
Frequencies Supported: 50/77/200 kHz (traditional), 260/455/800 kHz (ClearVü™)
Water-resistance Rating: IPX7
Transmit Power: 300 W (RMS)
Ease of Use
One of the reasons why the Garmin Striker 4cv is easy to use is its design. It is portable, making it easy to hold even with just one hand. The buttons are also large enough and are in strategic positions, making them easy to access.
The seamless interface will impress every user. The screen isn’t cluttered. The buttons are in strategic positions, each with a dedicated function. You will also love the split-screen feature, which will let you see more despite having a small display.
You don’t have to worry about installing a fish finder. The manufacturer provides comprehensive instructions and it won’t take long before you are done installing the unit. The package is also inclusive of a tilt and swivel mount, which will make the installation a breeze.
Diagonally, the display is only 3.5 inches. Without a doubt, this is small. Some people might not like how it is quite a struggle to see what is on the screen because of its size.
Despite being small, we love how bright the screen is. With the LED backlight, it will be crisp and vivid, whether it is day or night.
The display is also protected from splashes of water, so there’s no need to worry that it will get wet. You can even have it submerged in water, but only at a maximum of one meter and not longer than 30 minutes.
With the functional and practical display, you will see almost anything you need to know about the conditions of the water and the location. It shows the temperature of the water, as well as the speed of the boat. It also has a Fish Symbol ID, which clearly shows where your next catch will be.
Wherever you go, this fish finder can go with you. Weighing only 230 grams, it is easy to bring on your fishing trip. This is unlike others that can be too big and obtrusive. The portability, however, also comes with a caveat. It reduces the size of the screen, and most people will probably have a hard time seeing through the small display.
When mounted, it won’t consume a lot of space. It also has a built-in transducer management system, making sure that there are no wires that will get on your way.
Whether you are day or night fishing, navigation will be effortless. You can easily navigate even if you are a first-timer in your current location. This is because of the high-sensitivity GPS with up to 5,000 waypoints. It will bring you exactly where you need to be.
It has Quick Draw Contours. This will create maps of the water using a one-inch contour, which will provide a more detailed look at where you currently are.
With the built-in GPS function of the Striker 4cv, you can also mark special features, including docks and ramps. This will make it easier to navigate on your way back to your origin. You can also clearly mark waypoints. This will let you record your route.
Sonar and Transducer
For the best user experience, the Garmin Striker 4cv is equipped with innovative sonar and transducer. If the transducer isn’t enough for you, there is an option to upgrade, but you will need to buy the transducer separately.
With the Garmin CHIRP transducer, you can enjoy exceptional detail and clarity, albeit having a small screen. While other low-end fish finders will be sending only a single frequency, CHIRP technology allows a continuous sweep of high and low frequencies. When the frequencies return, they are interpreted individually. If you want clearer frequencies, then you can opt for higher-end technology at an added cost.
The ClearVü™ scanning sonar is another technology that makes this an exceptional product. This will give you an almost photographic image of what is under the water. Although, take note that this feature is limited only to a maximum depth of 750 feet. You will see the structure of the submerged object, so you will have an idea of what is below your boat without being underwater.
Even if it is murky or muddy, you can still see your target. The built-in flasher will give you a clear view of what is under when you are in a stationary position. This is also one of the reasons why it makes a good option for an ice fishing fish finder.
- Price: 98% – One of the main reasons why it is well-loved by many is its price. It is affordable considering that it is made by a reputable brand. You will be happy with how it can provide the best bang for the buck. This is a notable option if you are searching for the best fish finders under $300.
- Features: 95% – As expected, it is packed with the most useful features you will need. It is a fish finder GPS combo, so you will get the functionalities of two products in one. It is equipped with innovative features that will make your fishing trip fun and rewarding!
- Connectivity: 85% – This is the biggest drawback of this product. The only option for connectivity is through a data cable, which makes it very old-school. There is no Bluetooth or any other option to connect wirelessly.
- Design: – 95% – The design is functional and practical. It is small, making it portable. You can see large buttons in front of the unit, which is easily accessible. It also has a good texture for ease of gripping.
- Overall: 93% – In sum, the Striker 4cv is an affordable but decent fish finder with GPS. It is portable and has the most important features you will need. Admittedly, there are a couple of features lacking, especially in terms of wireless connectivity.
Globo Surf Overview
The next time you are out fishing, consider having the Striker 4cv! It is affordable and portable. You can enjoy flexible mounting options in your kayak or boat. We also love how it combines both CHIRP and ClearVü™ sonars, which will provide exceptional clarity and accuracy.
Nonetheless, the Garmin Striker 4cv is far from perfect. It is a basic model that lacks the bells and whistles you will find in its higher-end competitors. It does not have wireless connectivity options. To add, some people might find the display to be quite small.