While boasting sonar capabilities as its main distinguishing feature, Garmin striker 7sv carries a bunch of other important features. The features that make the fish finder stand out from the competition are outlined below:
- A modern screen offering a clear display under direct sunlight and at night.
- Weighing only 1.5 pounds, Garmin striker plus 7sv is one of the lightest fish finders.
- With a simple transducer upgrade, Striker 7sv can scan up to 2,300 feet in freshwater and 1,100 feet in saltwater.
- The device can track depth and temperature changes.
- You can create up to 5,000 waypoints on the fishing aid.
- The split-screen feature allows anglers to observe multiple panels at the same time.
- The split zoom feature lets you zoom in on specific tiles for an improved view.
- The fish finder comes with transom, tilt, and trolling motor mounts.
- Its IP-X7 waterproof rating means that you won’t have to worry about water damage.
- The device allows both down and side scans.
Width: 5.5 inches
Length: 9.3 inches
Transducer: GT5HW-TM (12-pin)
Depth capability: 800 feet for 2D sonar, 500 feet for DownVü and SideVü with the provided transducer
Power output: 500 watts (RMS)
GPS: built-in GPS
Maps and charts: No
Waypoints: Up to 5000
Waterproof rating: IP-X7
MicroSD support: No
Wi-Fi connectivity: not supported
Accessories: power cable, transducer, tilt mount, transom mount, trolling motor mount, documentation
Coming with powerful sonar capabilities, Garmin striker plus 7sv can detect targets in both saltwater and freshwaters. The fish finder features Garmin CHIRP SideVü and ClearVü capabilities and is capable of supporting multiple-beam scanning. For the traditional scanning, the fish finder covers 50/77/200 kHz. When it comes to Clear/SideVü, Garmin striker 7sv supports 260/455/800 kHz.
With the lower frequencies, the device can scan the deepest parts of the waterbody. However, the lower frequencies tend to pass over tiny targets instead of reflecting off of them. To correct this, Garmin added high frequency to Striker 7sv – while the high frequencies won’t penetrate far into the waterbody, they bounce off the tiny objects, allowing them to be displayed on your screen.
By broadcasting both the high and low-frequency beams, striker 7sv creates multiple images to convey all the information you would need to know what is going on. With the ClearVü and SideVü offering a clear view of the structures in the water, its 2D sonar allows you to distinguish specific targets in a school of fish.
For people who prefer stationary fishing, the Striker 7sv has a flasher option. With this target detection method, an annular readout displays clockwise depth markings with all the underwater objects appearing as radial spokes of varying hues and widths, determined by their dimensions and density.
Display and Resolution
Garmin striker 7sv carries a 7-inch screen. With WVGA color and a pixel matrix of 800 x 480, the screen ensures that you get a clear view of what is happening under and around your fishing boat. If you are fishing under direct sunlight or at night in the dark, the adjustable LED backlight has your back.
Using the mid-level frequencies, the fishing aid’s display can create images that show individual fish as they pass by. Denser and large objects appear in red with the color passing through yellow and moving to green as the targets become smaller. With the DownVü technology, the fish-finders display creates monochrome photorealistic scenes for observing the potential targets lurking below your fishing boat.
With the split-screen feature, Striker 7sv allows anglers to access all the results generated by the different sonar beams in separate panels on the device’s display. As an added benefit, the split zoom feature lets you zoom on a specific panel without interfering with other panels.
Navigation and Progress Tracking
While its sonar imaging is designed to help you locate fish in the first place, its GPS tracking powers will lead you back to the targets in the future. In waypoint mapping mode, you can construct simple route diagrams using the GPS position data to mark distances and directions from one fishing site to the next.
For additional guidance, you can mark landmarks such as docks, natural features, or buoys on the device. The fish finder’s GPS capabilities allow anglers to calculate the velocity of the fishing boat and store up to 5000 waypoints. The information on Striker 7sv can be transferred to other echoMAP and Striker models.
Ease of Use
When it comes to usability, Striker 7sv does not have a steep learning curve. With its display being flanked by a clearly labeled group of control buttons, accessing all the features you need is pretty easy. With a simple tap of the right button, you will be able to access Fish Symbol ID, Ultrascroll, AutoGain Technology, A-Scope, Adjustable depth line, and other important functions.
The fish finder comes with all the accessories you would need to mount it. Depending on your preferences, you can use the tilt mount, transom, or trolling motor mount. With the included documentation, figuring out how to mount your fishing aid should be easy.
- Price: 98% – For a device that offers powerful sonar capabilities, Striker 7sv comes at a very reasonable price.
- Construction: 96% – The device’s rugged construction goes well with its outdoor use. Having a waterproof rating of IP-X7, Striker 7sv can withstand heavy downpours and accidental splashes.
- Design: 94% – Garmin striker plus 7sv has an impressive design. On its screen, the fish-finder can display several panels at the same time. With its control buttons being well-arranged towards the right of the display, Striker 7sv makes operation easy for anglers.
- Overall: 96% – If you often alternate between fishing in freshwater and saltwater, Strike 7sv should be an ideal fish finder for you. Supporting up to 2,300 feet in freshwater and 1,100 feet in saltwater, Striker 7sv ensures that you won’t miss targets on the water column. Though the fish finder has limited navigation capabilities, its GPS can help you keep track of your favorite fishing spots.
Globo Surf Overview
Garmin striker plus 7sv is suitable for anglers looking for a fish-finder with powerful sonar capabilities. With 3 different sonar options, a very decent transducer, and a wide range of standard sonar features, the Garmin striker 7sv is ideal for anglers using all types of vessels.
With its standard transducer, however, the device will work best during inland excursions. However, upgrading to a more powerful transducer gives you maximum depth capabilities.