With Helix 5, fishing does not have to be frustrating. Whether you are sitting by the dock or aboard a fishing kayak, it has plenty of features to ensure success. Best of all, even if you are a newbie, it is effortless to figure out how to maximize the functions of this device. Here, we’ll take a look at some of the notable features you will find in this product.
- XNT 9 20 T transducer with 83/200 kHz frequencies
- SwitchFire Sonar allows filtering of noise
- 5-inch high-definition color TFT screen with a crisp and bright display
- RMS power output of 500 watts
- Peak to peak output of 4,000 watts for an accurate representation
- Transom-mounted transducer covers 20 and 60-degree angles
Height: 7.6 inches
Width: 4.6 inches
Display size: 5 inches
Display Type: Color TFT
Display Orientation: Landscape
Screen Resolution: 800H x 480V
Depth: 1,500 feet
Sonar Standard: Dual Beam Plus Sonar
Sonar Frequencies Supported: 83/200 kHz
Target Separation: 2.5 inches
Power Input: 10.8 to 20 VDC
You might also like: Humminbird Helix 9 SI Sonar With Dual Beam GPS
Ease of Use
Like the Humminbird Helix 5 DI, you can expect that this fish finder will be easy to use. Even as a beginner, it is free of complications. Best of all, the manufacturer provides thorough instructions, whether it is for installing the transducer or mounting the fish finder. It is ready to use right out of the box!
Among others, the straightforward design is one of the reasons why it is user-friendly. You only have a few buttons to use. Each button has a dedicated function. The buttons, however, can be quite small, but that is because this is a compact fish finder.
The X-press menu system with keypad control is one more feature that promotes ease of use. Plus, it will provide shortcuts for easily accessing the settings that you are frequently using.
Modes of Operation
With the SwitchFire Sonar, you can quickly toggle between two display modes. You can add or remove details depending on what you assume is important during your fishing trip. From water depth to temperature, you will be in complete control of what it is that you will be seeing on the display.
Speaking of modes, you can choose from Clear and Max. Choose the Clear mode if your goal is to eliminate the interferences in the area. On the other hand, choose the Max mode if you want to increase the sensitivity and pick up all the possible signals.
One of the most important features of a fish finder is its accuracy. It will be frustrating if it gives false warnings! Luckily, with the Humminbird Helix 5, you can enjoy accurate readings.
When you purchase this fish finder, it already comes with a transducer. It is the part that sends and receives a signal. It sends out signals to the sound waves and receives echoes. In turn, the display will show what exactly it is that the transducer has detected under the water. The included transducer has a maximum depth capability of 1,500 feet.
Another reason why it is accurate is that it has Dual Beam Plus Sonar. It combines the power of two beams for more generous coverage. The narrow beam is for high-accuracy detail and structure. The wide beam, on the other hand, is for scanning a larger location. This way, you do not need to move a lot.
The frequencies also ensure that the readings will be accurate. It works on two frequencies – 83 and 200 kHz. If this isn’t enough, then a good alternative worth considering is the Humminbird Helix 5 DI, which will have up to 800 kHz. If you are in shallow waters, a higher frequency is better. However, if you are in deeper waters, a lower frequency will do the job.
The built-in temperature gauge is also accurate. This will let you know exactly how cold or hot the water is. In turn, you can determine the chances that there are fish in the area. To maximize this feature, you should know what species thrive at a specific temperature. More so, there is an alarm to warn you that you reached an area with the temperature earlier set.
It is also worth mentioning that this fish finder comes with a target separation of 2.5 inches. Target separation is an important feature for accuracy since it determines the minimum distance between two objects for the system to note them as separate targets. However, take note that as the water becomes deeper, the target separation diminishes.
To make sure that the data displayed in your fish finder is accurate, update the software frequently. Doing so is easy. Visit the manufacturer’s website, register the product number, and the update will be completed in no time.
The display is almost similar to Humminbird Helix 5 DI. It comes with a 5-inch screen in landscape orientation, allowing you to see more. It is also colored, which makes it a lot better compared to cheaper counterparts with a black and white screen.
We love how you can adjust the brightness of the display depending on what a specific situation requires. Plus, it offers exceptional clarity in all environments. Even when it is dark or when the sun is at its peak, it will be easy to read whatever is shown on the screen.
Even with its compact screen, it can have a split-screen mode. This is useful if you want to see more details without the need to toggle between screens.
- Price: 90%: This is a mid-priced fish finder. We have seen a lot of cheaper alternatives but given the features and performance that you will find in this model, it would be safe to say that the price can be justified.
- Performance: 95% – It is great in terms of accuracy even when the water is deep. This is one thing that we can attribute to the use of dual-beam plus sonar. When you buy this kit, it is already inclusive of an advanced transducer. Even at a depth of up to 1,500 feet, this will work.
- Design: 95% – We also love how it comes with a simple but practical design. There are minimal buttons for seamless operation. It has a large screen so that you can easily monitor the presence of fish.
- Durability: 95% – With its exceptional construction, you can expect that this product will withstand the test of time. It has a solid body, which also protects the internal components from wear.
- Overall: 94% – The Helix 5 fish finder is a crowd-pleaser. Whether you are on a kayak or boat, among other places, this will be a dependable option. It is built to deliver accurate readings in a product that delivers user-friendly functions.
Globo Surf Overview
In sum, the Humminbird Helix 5 is a reasonably priced fish finder with exceptional features. It has a bright 5-inch display in landscape orientation for maximum coverage compared to those with a vertical screen. This fish finder also comes with dual-beam plus sonar for better accuracy even at a depth of up to 1,500 feet. However, there are also some missing features, such as speed readings and GPS.