Intex Explorer K2 2-Person Inflatable Kayak Set with Oars and Air Pump
- What Makes This Kayak Stand Out
- Inexpensively priced and an incredible deal
- Plenty of room and capacity for tandem kayaking, kayaking with a dog, and for big guys
- A complete kayaking package (all that is missing is a life jacket)
Size: 10’3″ X 3′ X 1’8″
Weight: 30.4 pounds
Maximum Capacity: 400 lbs.
Material: 30 Gauge Vinyl
The Intex Explorer K2 Kayak is a recreational kayak with a low profile, which is suitable for the smaller and calm bodies of waters it is made to explore. Its higher sides and curved front make it a versatile watercraft to use on lakes, canals, and rivers. The streamlined design makes it easy to paddle in smooth lakes and mild rivers.
Included in the package are two 86” aluminum oars and each oar breaks down into three pieces for easy storage, two inflatable seats, one tracking skeg, an Intex high-output pump, a repair patch, and a carry bag with the space to accommodate the kayak in its deflated and folded form and the accessories it comes with. The kayak features the following:
- Rugged vinyl construction for sturdiness and durability.
- Inflatable I-beam floor for rigidity and comfort.
- Removable skeg for smooth steering.
- Two separate air chambers for safety.
- Grab lines and grab handles on both ends.
- A drain plug to drain water from the kayak.
- Bright yellow hue and sporty graphics for high visibility and safety in the water.
- Two inflatable seats with backrests and adjustability for support and comfort.
- Boston valves on each side for easy and quick inflation and deflation.
Inflated Size: 10 ft 3in X 3ft X 1ft 8in
Weight: 30.4 pounds
Maximum Weight Capacity: 400 lb (180 kg)
Material: 30 Gauge Vinyl
Certifications: NMMA Certified, TUV approved, U.S. Coast Guard I.D.
Portability and Setup: The Intex Kayak Explorer is a lightweight inflatable kayak that packs down small enough to fit in the trunk of a small car. This makes it is easily transportable in any vehicle.
Unfortunately, it is still too large and unwieldy when packed up in the carrying bag for backpacking or bike riding. If your favorite water body is in a hard to access by car place that requires hiking with it for miles, it will be difficult to haul it but not impossible if you have sufficient upper body strength.
Once you get to the water body you intend to explore, it takes about 10-15 minutes to go from vehicle to water. Inflating it is a breeze thanks to the Boston valves on each side and the high output pump it comes with. Using the included pump, you can inflate it in 10 minutes. You can also get a power pump to make inflation effortless and then finish off with the manual one.
Deflation takes 5-10 minutes. A drain plug at the back of the kayak makes draining it easier. Folding, rolling, and sitting on it to press the air out makes it faster. If you have a power pump, it will also help a lot with deflation.
Usability: A two-seater kayak, the Kayak Explorer K2 is decently roomy for two paddlers as long as they don’t bring a lot of gear.
It also works very well as a solo kayak. It is very roomy for one person ( even a big guy) and their camping or fishing cargo. A solo kayaker can leave the second seat in and use it as an attachment point for gear since there are no D rings on this kayak.
The inflatable kayak seats it comes with are very comfortable. They have backrests, which are very supportive when inflated. The seats also have adjustment straps, which makes it easy to achieve the desired comfort. Out on the water, you can also remove the seats and sit or lie down on the inflated floor to relax and enjoy the sunshine.
Performance On the Water: The Intex Explorer K2 Kayak excels at recreational paddling on smooth waters. It also holds up well in mild to moderate rapids. Can it handle the ocean? It would be okay in harbors but is definitely not equipped for taking too far out into the ocean, the surf, or in rough waters<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>. It does have a drain hole but its port is not good enough for more turbulent whitewater rapids.
You might also like: Sea Eagle SE370 Inflatable Kayak
This kayak is very stable on the water and is not tippy. You sit low, and with its slightly wider profile, you don’t feel like you’re about to fall out or like the kayak is going to tip over. If you get out of the kayak to enjoy a dip in the water and cool down, the stability and grab ropes on the ends of the kayak make re-entering it easy.
It isn’t as smooth in the water nor can it go as fast as a hard kayak but with the skeg attached, the Kayak Explorer tracks very well. The streamlined design makes it very easy and a lot of fun to row. It is no racing machine but when used as a tandem kayak with the two paddlers paddling effectively and in unison, it goes straight and pretty fast.
- Roomy and plenty of capacity
- Very inexpensive tandem kayak and a fantastic value for money
- Packable and easy to transport in any vehicle
- Ease of setup and takedown
- Tracks well in the water
- Stable, easy to row, and beginners friendly
- Comes with seats, paddles, pump, tracking fin, repair kit, and carry bag
The Boston valves on the sides are great but the valves on the floor and the front are where Intex cut corners with this kayak. They are the kind of valves found on pool toys and very difficult to work with.
Also, the oars that come with it are flimsy, a bit short, and flex too much. You may want to get some longer and better quality kayak paddles.
Packed in its own bag, the kayak is heavy and bulky to maneuver alone, bike or backpack with.
Does not have a dedicated storage compartment and also lacks D rings.
- Price: 100% – A tandem kayak package at under $100. A great value for the money!
- Material: 90% – The 30 gauge PVC is thick and strong and doesn’t puncture easily. It holds up well to having a dog on board and being dragged in and out of the water. It can handle accidental contact with rocks or branches.
- Design: 95% – A sporty and fun kayak with a low profile, streamlined design, and upturned bow and stern, the K2 Kayak Explorer is easy to paddle and perfect for leisurely kayaking on calm rivers, lakes, and bays.
- Overall: 95% – Intex makes some of the best inflatable products out there and this kayak is one of them. It is a really good tandem kayak for recreational paddling. For the price, the tandem capacity, quality, performance, and enjoyment it offers can’t be beaten.
Globo Surf Overview
The Intex Explorer K2 Kayak is a solid recreational tandem kayak at a budget-friendly price. It is perfect for casual paddling in calmer waters such as lakes, bays, and slow-moving rivers. If you want a kayak for enjoying the water with a partner or a canine friend, we are confident you will be satisfied with this purchase. Inexpensive and easy to handle, it is also great for entry-level kayakers. It is definitely not a kayak for white water kayaking, competitive racing, or embarking on week-long kayak camping trips.
Single Products Inflatable Reviews:
- Sevylor Fiji Tandem Kayak Review
- Sevylor Quikpak K5 Kayak Review
- Driftsun Voyager Inflatable Kayak Review
- Airhead Montana Kayak Review
- Sevylor Big Basin 3-Person Kayak Review
- Sea Eagle SE 370 Inflatable Kayak Review
- Advanced Elements StraitEdge Angler Kayak Review
- Advanced Elements AE1012-R Kayak Review
- Intex Challenger K1 Kayak Review