The Quikpak K5 1-person kayak comes with an abundance of neat features. Unlike many other inflatable kayaks which can sometimes be very basic, this one has plenty of things that improve your comfort and make it a joy to use. We already mentioned the transformable backpack and the reinforced bottom, but there are many other things too. Take a quick look:
- Padded carry backpack turns into a kayak seat
- Several air chambers for improved safety on the water
- AirTight construction system prevents any air leaks
- Tarpaulin-reinforced bottom for preventing punctures
- Backpack cover doubles as a spray skirt for keeping you dry
- Zippered storage compartment and bungee-corded deck for storing gear
- Several D-rings for quickly attaching and securing equipment
- Handles at the bow and stern for carrying when inflated
- DoubleLock valves with two locking points for easier inflation
Length: 10 feet
Width: 2 feet 10 inches
Weight: 23 pounds
Capacity: 250 pounds
Packed size: 33.5 x 8.5 x 20 inches
Material: 24-gauge PVC with Tarpaulin bottom and polyester cover
Warranty: 1-year warranty
Included accessories: Travel backpack, dual-action hand pump, 3-piece kayak paddle
Performance and Usability: Kayakers agree that this inflatable works much better than they initially expected. It’s very rigid when fully inflated, and tracks really well through the water. Besides, it’s very buoyant and extremely stable which is a big plus when you need to get in or out, or if you happen to flip the kayak and need to get back in.
Truth be told, it’s not incredibly fast. The hull is wide and puts an accent on stability rather than speed. Also, inflatable kayaks can never sharply cut through the water as hard kayaks do. People mostly use the Quikpak K5 for relaxed paddling on flat water, or even some fishing if you bring a fishing rod.
Comfort: Even though you would expect an inflatable kayak to be comfortable, this one really exceeds many expectations. Paddlers claim that it feels nicer than many hardshell recreational kayaks they own and that sitting and paddling the whole day won’t make your body numb. This allows you to take it on longer trips too, adding to the versatility of the kayak. The seat is soft, and the added backrest gives you good support throughout the day.
As for the cockpit size, you need to be a bit careful here. Kayakers generally agree that there is enough leg space in the cockpit for an average adult. However, if you’re a very tall person, you may feel cramped inside this kayak and should look for a larger vessel.
Materials: As we mentioned at the beginning, this K5 uses a combination of materials to give you the most reliable inflatable kayak. People say that they’ve dragged it across rocky beaches without any damage to the bottom and that hitting a rock or a branch in the water usually won’t cause any damage.
However, in case that damage happens, the separate air chambers prevent the kayak from deflating and allow you to safely get back to the shore. Also, make sure to learn more about inflatable kayak safety, so you know what to do in this type of situation.
Storage: Paddlers like how functional this kayak is when it comes to storage. There is a zippered storage compartment behind your seat where you can keep some gear or even a lunch cooler with some snacks and beverages. On top of it, there is a bungee-corded storage area that allows you to things you need within hand’s reach, for example, a dry bag with your valuables or a water bottle. Finally, the sides are equipped with D-rings that allow you to attach and secure even more gear.
Setup: Inflating and deflating this kayak is really fast, which is something many people point out. As we said, you can have it up and ready in under 5 minutes. The hand pump is efficient and works well, but some people have said that they’ve had trouble attaching the hose to the valve, despite the existing valve locks.
If this is a problem for you, or you don’t like to manually inflate anything, you should consider getting an electric pump. Packing the kayak is very simple and easy too, but make sure to dry out the kayak before storing it for a longer time (to avoid mold and smell).
Portability: This is probably the best thing about this kayak – it’s so conveniently packed that you can just throw it on your back and go. Also, it’s incredibly lightweight so anybody can carry it on their own. The Quikpak K5 1-person kayak easily fits in the trunk of any car, and you can even check it on an airplane. As for carrying the kayak when inflated, there are two convenient grab handles at the bow and stern which allow you to pick it up and bring it to the water.
- Price: 100% – The asking price for the Sevylor Quikpak K5 is incredibly affordable, and we would have the same opinion even if it didn’t come with a pump and a paddle in the package. It’s available to anyone who wants to get into kayaking but needs to be mindful of the kayaking cost. This is a high-quality product and users are more than satisfied with its strength and durability, so you get excellent value for your money too.
- Material: 90% – We really like how Sevylor uses a combination of three materials to make this kayak, getting the best out of each of them. This way you get a tough kayak that you can use without constantly having to worry about damaging it, which is honestly a big relief.
- Design: 95% – This is one of the most interesting kayak designs we’ve ever come across. Everything is so compact and well packed in the backpack, and the pack itself has a double purpose and is re-used when setting up the kayak. Also, as we mentioned earlier, the comfort is excellent and the performance is satisfactory too.
- Overall: 95% – This kayak is really something special. No, it’s not a speed beast when compared to a hard shell, but, in terms of portability and overall ease of use, not many other kayaks can compete with it. We can recommend it to anyone looking for a reliable and lightweight kayak for laid-back relaxed paddling.
Globo Surf Overview
Overall, the Sevylor Quikpak K5 1-Person Kayak is an enjoyable kayak with a very smart design. As we mentioned throughout the article, it really does take portability to a new level, which is certainly its main selling point. It’s well-made, and the strength and durability will surprise you. It’s very beginner-friendly too, and because of this (and the fact that it isn’t expensive), many paddlers choose it for learning how to kayak.
As you had the chance to see, you get it as a full package (with a pump and a paddle), and it’s ready to get into the water within minutes. All things considered, the Quikpak K5 is an incredibly fun kayak and one of the best inflatables you’ll stumble upon.
More Kayak Reviews:
- Kayak Outriggers
- Kayak Spray Skirt
- Kayak Wall Mount
- Kayak Sail
- Kayak Hoist
- Cold Weather Kayaking Gear
- Emotion Stealth Angler
- Old Town Sit On Top Kayak
- Old Town Next Canoe
- Sevylor Fiji Inflatable Kayak
- Sevylor Quikpak K5 1-Person Kayak, coleman.com