For all us water sports enthusiasts and for all people who enjoy spending a lot of time at the beach, aloe vera gel is a gift from above. Not only it is the best natural product to treat sun exposed skin, but it will even prevent peeling if sunburn already happened.
Furthermore, you can use it to prevent sunburn as well, if you apply it in the evening, after taking off your solar protection remnants with a shower. If you’re a fan of anti-ageing skincare products, then you are probably already aware of the added value of aloe vera gel as an intensive skin treatment. Applied constantly, it will help minimize cell damage and promote a more youthful appearance.
Last, but not least, if you tend to spend a lot of time in diving suits or water sports jackets, then your skin is probably sore sometimes. The good news is that the best aloe vera gel will also take care of that and bring more comfort to the regular use of wetsuits. But, with so many options on the market, it’s hard to know which product to choose. This is where we come in: after reading this guide, you will know exactly what to look for.
How To Choose An Aloe Vera Gel – Buying Guide
Too many options and still not sure which is the best aloe vera gel for you? Here is what you need to look at before you decide on one or another.
The Buyer’s Guide to Finding the Best Aloe Vera Gel for You
The main factors you should consider before deciding on one aloe vera gel or another are the ingredients, the ease of use, and the price.
Ingredients: since aloe vera is usually sought after as a moisturizer and treatment for irritated or sunburnt skin, you should make sure that there isn’t anything in it that can damage your skin if it’s already fragile or wounded. Avoid alcohol, fragrance and any other ingredients besides the pure aloe vera gel and maybe 1-2 natural oils.
Ease of use: ideally, you’re looking for something that you can spread on your skin easily and that gets absorbed fast. Natural aloe vera gel can be a bit lumpy and will leave a sticky residue on your skin unless you’re very patient in applying it. Therefore, the best aloe vera gel to buy should mention that it’s easy to use and that it will get absorbed into the skin easily. But, at the same time, this convenience shouldn’t come at the expense of ingredients, so make sure you monitor the ingredient list as well.
Price: aloe vera gel is a relatively inexpensive product, especially considering that it’s an almost medical-grade ointment and such an effective moisturizer. However, you should realize that the cheaper products probably come with some strings attached (as does anything else you can buy). So to stay on the safe side and to be sure you’re getting the best aloe vera gel for your skin, it’s better to avoid a really cheap product and go for a middle and upper priced one.
Benefits of Aloe Vera for Skin
Aloe vera is considered a wonder of nature and a natural beauty remedy, it’s been in use for centuries and as soon as you try it out for yourself, you understand why. It’s like nature consciously struggled to create the perfect skincare cream and anti-rash ointment and succeeded in combining them in this succulent juice.
The perfect balance of water and enzymes in organic aloe vera gel can drive moisture deep into the skin, replenishing its levels of hydration. Also, because of the plant’s natural anti-bacterial and anti-fungal substances, the skin enjoys a similar level of protection when applying aloe vera gel.
Simply put, any small wound (like burns, rashes or minor cuts and bug bites) will heal faster in the anti-septic environment that the layer of gel creates. Not only bacteria, but also fungi particles will be removed by the action of the aloe vera gel. Since some skin rashes and eczema patches have a fungal cause, this double effect will help heal them away even faster.
Besides the hydrating action and the healing effect, natural aloe vera gel also nourishes the skin with important enzymes, proteins, vitamins and minerals. This helps the skin become fortified and more capable of protecting itself from the free radicals that bring about ageing.
How to Properly Use Aloe Vera for Your Skin
As you could see from the product descriptions above, most of the aloe vera gels on the market boast that you can use them on your hair and nails as well. But what are the main ways to use aloe vera on your skin, and how should you do it? This is everything you need to know.
How to apply aloe vera gel on your face:
- As a moisturizer: Apply a small quantity of aloe vera gel after washing your skin and patting it dry. Wait 1-2 minutes until it gets completely absorbed in your skin, then follow up with a bit of cream (optionally). Then you can apply makeup or sun protection lotion as usual. If you’re using it in the evening, you can go directly to bed, and let the aloe work its magic overnight.
- As a face mask: Apply a generous quantity of aloe vera gel on clean, freshly washed skin. Let it dry on your face for about 20-30 minutes. For a more moisturizing effect, you can spray some fresh water (or thermal water) on top of it every now and then, to prevent it from drying. This way, the aloe mask will just carry the water you add deep into your skin, nourishing it. After 30 minutes or so, gently rinse with tepid water, or wipe off with a wet towel. Continue with your usual moisturizer.
How to apply aloe vera gel on your body:
- As a moisturizer: Simply apply generous amounts of aloe vera gel on your clean skin, just as you would do with your favorite body butter / body souffle cream. Wait a few minutes until the gel gets absorbed into the skin. If you’re using a top-quality aloe vera gel such as the ones presented above, you should be able to get dressed right away. If you’re preparing to go to the beach, don’t forget to also apply a sun protection lotion after the aloe vera.
- As a treatment for sunburn or rashes: Gently wash and prepare the skin, patting it dry with a soft clean towel. Then, apply a generous amount of aloe vera gel on affected areas (at least half an inch thick). Leave it on for as long as possible (around 1 hour). Gently wash it off with tepid water and allow the affected area to dry off.
Q: Where does Aloe Vera Come from?
A: Aloe vera is a succulent that thrives amid arid conditions. Its capacity to retain water and store it is actually what makes it such a great moisturizer.
It is believed that the aloe vera plant originated in Sudan, but it grows in a wide area around the Equator, covering parts of India, Africa and South America.
Q: What Ingredients Do You Usually See in Aloe Vera?
A: Besides aloe barbadensis, which is the actual plant ingredient, you will be able to see some other ingredients mentioned on the label of any aloe vera gel on the market. Some of these ingredients are safe, some are less so.
The harmless ingredients you can see in aloe vera gel: citric acid and ascorbic acids (relatively harmless preservatives), water, ascorbic acid (a form of vitamin C), sunflower oil or grapeseed oil (extra emolliating ingredients), xanthan gum (sometimes debated as an ingredient, it’s a natural compound that helps the gel spread easier on the skin).
The potentially irritating ingredients: triethanolamine, iodopropynyl butylcarbamate, any chemical name that ends in EDTA or MEA (like cocamide MEA or sodium EDTA), and fragrance.
Globo Surf Overview
The only thing that can put a damper on how fun summer can be is the assortment of skin problems which can accompany life outdoors. Wind and sun rashes, bug bites, jellyfish stings, minor cuts and burns, you name it. Luckily, the best aloe vera gels on the market will make you forget all about these minor inconveniences.
We hope our guide helped you figure out how to use aloe vera and what the best option for you is. Have fun and enjoy your summer!
- How to Check If You’re Buying Good Quality and Beneficial Aloe Vera Gel, Aloe Bee Health.
- Aloe Vera Gel Research Review, Natural Medicine Journal.
Do you usually use aloe vera gel after sun exposure or to soothe skin rashes you might have after wearing a water sports suit for a long time? What are your experiences with this type of product? What’s the best aloe vera gel you ever used? Share your thoughts with the Globo Surf community below and help us all learn from each other.
Globo Surf Aloe Vera Gel Review