There’s no better time to go fishing than when the sun is shining bright. Unfortunately, this means being under the full glare of the sun, exposed to its fierce rays. To fish for as long as you want without getting sunburnt and compromising your health, you will need the best fishing hat to keep the harmful sun’s rays at bay.
In this article, we’ve reviewed the best fishing hats sun protection and compiled a guide to help you make the right choice so you can fish in peace and comfort even with the summer sun beating down on you. Below are the 10 best fishing hats that deserve taking our current hats off to.
How To Choose The Best Fishing Hat – Buying Guide
Types of Fishing Hats
Fishing hats come in so many different styles that differ in the amount of coverage and protection they offer. As you evaluate the best fishing hats, here are the different types you will come across:
- A bucket hat is the most popular sun protection fishing hat. Bucket hats for fishing have a decent-sized brim that offers UV protection without obstructing vision.
- Wide brim fishing hats have brims extending 3-6 inches. Research has shown that broad-brimmed hats provide protection equivalent to an SPF (Sun Protection Factor) of 5.
- Sun skirts and neck flap sun hats for fishing have extra covers to offer additional protection for the neck and face.
- Baseball-style fishing caps look just like baseball caps. They offer good protection for the top of the head but little protection for other parts of the face.
- Legionnaire-style sun hats for fishing are baseball caps outfitted with long ear and neck flaps. Some even include veil-like extensions to protect the eyes.
When fishing for long durations in the sun, sweating is unavoidable. Choosing a hat with good ventilation and cooling features ensures that you remain comfortable and don’t get too hot and sweaty. Look for well-ventilated hat construction with mesh fabric panels and small ventilation holes on the crown.
Adjustability in a fishing hat is very important. The best hats for fishing have an adjustable chin strap and drawcords, allowing you to customize the fit. As for a fishing hat with a neck flap or face mask, it should allow you to detach the flaps and masks when you don’t need them.
Many a fisherman’s hats have been lost in the waters never to be seen again. This is why the best fishing sun hats have an adjustable chin strap that prevents the hat from flying off. Some other features that ensure you don’t lose your hat in the water include foam-stiffened brims and lightweight and water-repellent designs that allow the hat to float for easy retrieval.
Fishing hats should be neither too tight nor too loose. You can determine whether a hat will fit you well by measuring the circumference of your head and comparing it with the hat’s size chart. Most fishing hats have one size fits the most sizing system and an adjustable lock for fine-tuning the fit.
Your fishing hat is inevitably going to get wet so water-resistant or waterproof fishing hats are essential. If you happen to be fishing in the rain, waterproof hats for fishing keep water away from your face without getting drenched themselves. Water-resistant hats made of quick-drying materials are also great.
An essential feature in a fishing hat is the ability to protect from the harmful rays emitted by the sun. Here’s what to look for when looking for the best hat for fishing for sun protection:
- Sun Protection Factor (SPF): The recommended fishing hat sun protection rating is at least UPF 50+. This means that the hat will filter at least 98% of the harmful UVA and UVB rays emitted by the sun.
Related Review: Sun Hat
- Wide Brim: Fishing sun hats with broad brims extending 3-6” or more and angled downwards offer the best protection against sunburn because they cover the head, ears, face, and neck. Caped hats with a neck cover or face skirts or both also offer excellent sun protection.
The Cool Factor
While the best hats for fishing are meant to be more functional than fashionable, looking cool while fishing in a stylish fishing hat isn’t a bad thing. On the other hand, some of the top-rated fishing hats for sun protection including wide brim bucket hats and full coverage fishing hats with flaps are pretty ugly.
Q: Why Do I Need A Fishing Hat?
Q: Will a Fishing Hat Be Applicable for Winter Fishing?
Q: How Do I Keep The Fishing Hat On My Head In Windy Days?
Your fishing hat will probably have an adjustable chin strap to prevent the hat from flying off in windy conditions. To ensure your fishing hat stays on your head on windy days, be sure to tighten this chin strap. If your hat doesn’t have a chin strap, you can add DIY retention straps.
Q: What Is The Brim On A Fishing Hat?
Q: Does The Season Of Fishing Affect What Kind Of Fishing Hat Should I Wear?
Q: Why Do People Put Fish Hooks On Their Hats?
The main reason people put fish hooks on their hats is to look cool. Some anglers also put hooks on their hat simply because it’s convenient. A hook on the hat is easy to access when needed in a pinch.
Globo Surf Overview
A fishing hat is a must-have item on all your fishing excursions. It helps to protect you from the sun’s rays and other elements. Whether you’re looking for the best hats for fly fishing or boat fishing, the best fishing hats with sun protection reviewed above are well-designed to ensure you’re protected and comfortable while fishing in the sun.
More Fishing Reviews:
- Braided Fishing Line
- Walleye Lures
- Fishing Sunglasses
- Ultralight Spinning Reel
- Kids Fishing Poles
- Hooks For Catfish
- Fly Fishing Waders
- Crappie Bait
- Crab Traps
- Tackle Box
More Hats Reviews:
- Sailing Hat
Do you wear a hat when fishing? Which style do you prefer and why? Share in the comment box below