Topo Designs describe this backpack as the Goldilocks of rucksacks, as it is not too big or small and it’s also not too complicated or too simple. As statements go, it’s a fairly apt way to describe the backpack, as it is an ideal daypack for many different reasons.
With backpacks, you have a few choices to make with size being an obvious one. Unless you’re going on a multi-day adventure, then you are not going to need anything that is much more than 20 liters, and that’s the capacity that this product has.
The other big decision you need to make is one of style, and specifically in terms of how many compartments and outside features you want. For a fishing backpack, for example, you would need multiple pockets as you will have many different items. For a daypack though, often simplicity is the best policy.
The size and style of these products are part of what makes it such a desirable product but here we will look further into the key features and specifications to see what makes this bag stand out. We will also give it an overall rating to see if this would be the perfect backpack for you.
As we mentioned there, the size and design of the backpack are ideal for what you want to achieve. There also other features too that make it into such a great product and here we will look at some of the best ones.
- Spacious main compartment
- Flap top
- Drawstring cinch closure
- Padded internal sleeve
- Two outside zipped pockets
- Water bottle pockets
- Padded should straps
- Carry handle
- Heavy-duty zippers
Outer material: 1000D Cordura & 400D nylon pack cloth
Liner: 420D nylon pack cloth
Dimensions: 11” width, 17” height, 10” depth
Volume: 20 liters
Weight: 20.8 ounces
Usability: This is a product that you are going to get a lot of use out of as it will be ideal for going anywhere for the day. It will also work great as a school/college bag too for those wanting a high-quality product to organize their things.
That is helped by the internal padded laptop sleeve that can hold any laptop up to 15 inches inside. The sleeve helps to keep it safe and secure to give you confidence that it will be protected should you ever drop your bag.
It’s also going to be great for other types of adventures too, such as going out on a short hike, spending a day at a park, or taking supplies for a baby on a trip out. It’s a bag that you will end up going back to constantly, as it is very easy to use.
It also looks great too and that makes it ideal for those times when you care about style and being able to show off. There are a wide variety of different colors available to help give you an individual choice and allow you to add your own personality to the product.
Quality: To go with its high level of usability, the product is also made to a very high standard. It mixes a great use of fabrics with a high level of build quality to give you a product that is going to last for a very long time.
The bottom of a backpack is always going to be its biggest source of weakness and needs extra protection and this backpack does that in the form of 1000D Cordura that is going to be able to ensure that the bag isn’t easily broken.
The rest of the bag is made from nylon cloth that is going to give you a high amount of flexibility and comfort while remaining durable. The straps have padding on them that is going to add to that comfort and allow you to wear it for a full day.
The bag is adjustable to make sure that it fits correctly and there are also compression straps that are going to minimize the movement of the backpack when it’s on your back. Overall this product has an impressive level of quality.
Features: This is a product that tries not to be too complicated and add too much. Complicated daypacks can be confusing and inconvenient but the best daypacks will allow you to quickly grab anything that you need to.
Even though it’s a fairly simple bag, it’s not too simple and still has plenty of useful features such as the laptop sleeve that we mentioned. There are also internal pockets where you’re going to be able to store more valuable items.
It also has external pockets that are going to be great for your water bottle and it has two outer pockets where you are going to be able to place essential items. It feels like the perfect range of pockets as you have different options without it being too complicated.
It’s very easy to carry with those padded shoulder straps that have mesh for added breathability and also a grab handle for easy pickup. It’s a daypack that strikes an ideal balance between different types of backpacks to leave you with a perfect daypack.
Clearly, this is an impressive product and their Goldilocks metaphor is a good one as it feels as though it’s a backpack that sits in that perfect zone. Here we look at how it ranks in some key areas as we give the Roverpack backpack an overall rating.
- Price: 95% – When you consider all the aspects that go into the pricing of a product, the result is a very fair price. It’s made out of high-quality materials and also with a high level of build quality, which is the two key areas. Also, when a product has great materials and builds quality it means that the product is going to be durable and last for a very long time. That longevity makes it a good investment as you wouldn’t need to get another daypack for a long time.
- Material: 95% – When considering materials for a backpack, companies always have to settle on what denier it should be. The denier is a measurement of thickness and a balance has to be struck as a material that is too thick will be inflexible and heavy. It’s another place where this backpack strikes a great balance as it gives a high level of durability but remains comfortable. The materials used are high quality and perfect for a daypack, with the thicker bottom adding to the support it has.
- Design: 95% – This bag gives you everything that you’re looking for and is the opposite to the likes of a tactical backpack that is great in some situations but not ideal for a school or everyday bag. This perfectly meets the needs of the user. Everything is easy to use and in a convenient place, the only downside being how the straps overlap the bottom zipped pocket, meaning that you need to move them out of the way, but that’s a minor inconvenience. The bag also looks great too and therefore it’s a great option for those looking for a stylish backpack.
- Overall: 95% – This is a great all-around backpack that is going to become one of your prized possessions when you see how much you’ll be using it. There aren’t many faults with it at all and that makes it great value for money. It’s an impressive product and one that is highly useable comes with a high level of quality and has enough great features to add to that usability without trying to cram in too much in the space that it has.
Globo Surf Overview
You sometimes imagine that designers will look at a prototype and think ‘maybe we should add this’ and add extra features or complications to a product. I’ve come across many backpacks where it has felt like overkill as they are trying to do too much.
The result is usually a product that doesn’t really excel in anything with half of its features not being used. With this Roverpack, you feel as though the designers would have resisted that temptation and as a result, the backpack is a lot better for it.
There isn’t anyone area that lets the backpack down and that’s impressive as you see a lot of products that fail in one particular area. The Roverpack Backpack comes at a fair price, uses high-quality materials, and also has a great design too.
Those facts add up to a backpack that is highly recommended and one that is going to be with you for a long time. The backpack fits in a perfect range and it’s going to be ideal for anyone looking to take their items out for a day, whether that is at college, a picnic for a day out traveling.