Between the Mexican town of Tulum and a small village called Punta Allen, there is a peninsula with many beautiful wild beaches as well as gorgeous lagoons. If you are an adventure lover, it would be a perfect spot for you. Punta Allen Mexico is not visited by many tourists, which means you will be able to see nature in its purest form.
You will be able to swim in the lagoons or even watch crocodiles if you go with a tour company. However, you can hike this route on your own if you enjoy solitude. This 37-mile Punta Allen Tulum journey can be finished in just 4 days, leaving you with some of the most amazing memories!
Punta Allen Mexico Guide
What You Need to Know
This area belongs to the Reserva de la Biosfera de Sian Ka’an and is truly one of the biggest hidden gems in Mexico, which means you will be blown away by its beauty. Punta Allen, also known as Javier Rojo Gomez is located south of Tulum, the famous Mayan ruins, so you should prepare for hiking in solitude.
You can even ride to Punta Allen, but the road is not finished so it is difficult to travel. It is much better to experience its beauty on foot. This location is not as difficult to hike as some other long-distance hiking areas.
There is no place to resupply, so you should bring everything you need for this trip. Proper hydration is crucial when hiking in a dry, sunny region. Completing the Punta Allen Tulum route is not possible without enough food as well. Even though there are not many tourists, you should always follow the leave-no-trace principle so the beautiful landscape remains intact.
You can finish this journey in 3 days, even if you are not a very experienced hiker. It does not have any significant elevation gain, but you will still need to be physically fit to endure strenuous daily activity. If you decide to finish this journey in 4 days, you will have a lot more time to explore the beautiful sights and relax.
When to do the Punta Allen Tulum Hike
The weather can be unpredictable in this region, so it is strongly advised to check the weather conditions before you set out. Strong rain can make it difficult to hike, so make sure you are properly informed.
- Enough food and water for at least 3 days. Make sure you bring dehydrated backpacking food and enough water bottles so you can endure the trip.
- Hiking sandals. Walking on the beach with wet feet can easily cause blisters. Make sure you get a pair of quality hiking sandals to prevent them.
- Hiking socks. Socks are as important as shoes because you need to be as comfortable as possible.
- Hiking shorts. Hiking in pants will probably be uncomfortable because of the heat.
- Hiking shirt. You need a quality-made shirt which will make it easier to hike in such conditions.
- Hiking hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen. Do not forget to protect yourself from the Sun.
- Lightweight backpack. It is best to invest in a lightweight backpack since you need to carry all of your supplies with you.
- Tent and sleeping bag. You need a place to sleep, so getting a tent and a sleeping bag is crucial.
- Packing a small stove will come in handy when it comes to preparing rice or oatmeal.
- This route offers gorgeous views so you may want to use a backpacking camera to snap some breathtaking pictures.
Punta Allen Pros
- You will have the most beautiful beach landscape all to yourself.
- The water is crystal clear and warm.
- Nature is mostly intact.
- You can get a chance to see turtles, dolphins, and even crocodiles.
- You will be able to see a beautiful night sky since there is no light pollution.
- Hiking this route is cheap since you do not have to pay any fees.
Punta Allen Cons
- The heat can be very intense, especially in the period between 12 PM and 4 PM.
- There is no place to resupply, so you need to carry all of your food and water throughout the whole hike.
Globo Surf Overview
Hiking the route between Tulum and Punta Allen Mexico is not a very well-known track, but it certainly has a lot to offer. This hidden gem will amaze you with its numerous beaches, lagoons, as well as many animal species you do not get to see every day.
Since there is nothing except gorgeous nature, you should prepare enough supplies for a 3 to 4-day trip. Lightweight packing is a great idea in such conditions since it makes hiking more comfortable. Bear in mind walking with wet feet may give you blisters. Make sure you know how to prevent them so nothing ruins your amazing adventure!
More Backpacking/Hiking Reviews:
- G Shock Watch
- Trekking Poles
- Tactical Boots
- Backpacking Stove
- Backpacking Sleeping Pad
- Road Trip Essentials
- Wonderland Trail
- How To Pack A Backpack
- How To Wash A Backpack
- Best Hikes In The World
- Punta Allen In Mexico, tulum.com