When shopping for swimming gear and equipment, one of the most neglected pieces is the swimming earplug. Much like the swimming nose clip, many people seem to think that earplugs are not necessary, which is also why they don’t bother trying to learn how to put earplugs properly. However, earplugs are very important since they protect you from the swimmer’s ear and possible ear infections. More important though is learning how to use earplugs for swimming properly, otherwise they wouldn’t be of any use to you.
How to Put on Moldable Earplugs
Moldable earplugs are made from soft material like wax or silicone. Many swimmers prefer using moldable earplugs because they can be molded and shaped accordingly to fit the swimmer’s ear and thus sealing them off more effectively.
How to put moldable earplugs isn’t difficult, but some effort is required to do it properly. Remember, regardless of being the better option they still won’t work if you don’t know how to use earplugs for swimming correctly.
- Take the earplugs and see if they’re soft enough to be molded. If not, you need to soften them first by warming them up. You can do this by rolling them between your palms for a few seconds.
- Once the earplugs are soft enough, start molding them into cone shapes.
- Insert each plug into your ear and push them in gently. Because they are malleable, you should feel the plugs slightly take shape according to the structure of your ear.
- Continue pushing the plugs in until you feel that they have sealed off the entrance of your ear canal.
How to Put on Non-moldable Ear Plugs
Non-moldable earplugs are made from stiffer materials like rubber and others. Because they can’t be molded according to the requirements of the swimmer, they are designed to be a universal fit and are available in different sizes.
How to put earplugs that are non-moldable is pretty straightforward:
- Look at the earplugs and determine which one is for the right ear and which one is for the left ear. You should be able to feel if you placed the wrong plug into the wrong ear. This is pretty important because if you happen to put the wrong plug in the wrong gear, it won’t seal off your ear canal properly and water will still get through.
- Insert the appropriate earplug for each ear. Push them in gently until you feel the plug has sealed off the entrance of your ear canal. Once it does, refrain from pushing the plug even deeper since doing so can damage the lining of your eardrums.
Q: Can you use regular ear plugs for swimming?
No, you can’t use regular ear plugs as an alternative for swimming ear plugs. This is because regular ear plugs (especially those used to block out noise) are generally made out of foam. Needless to say, foam absorbs water instead of keeping it out, thus making it ineffective as protection for the ears when swimming.
Q: What is the best ear plugs for swimming?
The best ear plugs for swimming are those made from silicone. They are excellent in keeping water out and because they are inherently soft they adapt to the shape of the user’s ears. Keep in mind though that even the best ear plugs won’t help much if you don’t know how to use ear plugs for swimming properly.
Q: How do you put in Zogg ear plugs?
To put in Zogg ear plugs, you first need to identify the correct plug for each ear (each piece is labeled as “R” for right and “L” for left). Then, holding the insertion stem place the plug into the outer ear and insert until secure. To remove the plug, squeeze the insertion stem and carefully pull the plug out.
Q: How do you keep water from entering your ears when swimming?
The best way to keep water from entering your ears when swimming is to wear an ear plug. Just make sure that you know how to put earplugs correctly and securely to ensure their effectiveness. Swim caps that go over the ears can also help, but they’re not a substitute to actual ear plugs.
Q: What is the easiest way to put in ear plugs?
Non-moldable ear plugs are the easiest types of plugs to put in the ears. Many of them come in a universal fit and require no molding or modifications to use. Simply choose the correct ear plug for the appropriate ear and slide it in. Continue sliding it in until you feel it seal your ear canal and that’s it.
Q: How do you put ear plugs in?
That depends on the type of ear plug you’re using. If you’re using a non-moldable ear plugs, you simply need to insert each plug into your ear. One the other hand, if you’re using moldable ear plugs you first need to mold them into a cone before you insert them in your ears.
Q: How far should ear plugs go in?
Ear plugs should as far as the ear canal’s entrance. As soon as you feel the plug seal the entrance of your ear canal, stop pushing it in. Push it even further and risk of damaging your ear drums’ lining. This is an important factor in learning how to use ear plugs for swimming so you don’t damage your ears.
Globo Surf Overview
Swimming earplugs are one of those essential pieces that every swimmer must in their swim bags. But for them to be effective, you need to know how to put earplugs correctly. If you’re not sure how you can go back up and read our guide on how to use earplugs for swimming or ask a knowledgeable person at the swimming pool for help. If you don’t already have swimming earplugs, you should get one for yourself, or if you know a friend who doesn’t have one consider getting them one because this is one of the best gifts for swimmers.