Your outdoor patio furniture needs some love! It is exposed to outdoor elements like dust, sun, and rain, which can make it dirty over time. Proper care and maintenance will be essential in keeping the furniture in its best shape.
Clueless about how to clean patio furniture? It does not have to be difficult. Keep on reading and learn from the tips we’ll share.
A Step-By-Step Guide on How to Clean Patio Furniture
Here, we’ll talk about the basics of cleaning patio furniture depending on the materials that are used.
Cleaning Wood Patio Furniture
- For basic cleaning of softwood, use a mixture of one-quart water, two tablespoons of white vinegar, and ¼ ammonia. Scrub with a soft bristle brush and dry.
- If the furniture is made of hardwood, such as oak or cherry, sanding will help. Use medium-grit sandpaper to get rid of the scratches.
- You can also use a commercial patio cleaner. In most cases, you can apply the cleaner directly to the wood.
Cleaning Metal Patio Furniture
- Remove cushions from the patio chairs and tables, if there’s any. In a bucket of water, add a few drops of dishwashing soap. Use this to brush the metal for basic cleaning.
- If there are spots with rust, use sandpaper to clean the surface. This will reveal a newer layer without rust.
- Finish by applying metal polish or polishing paste. Doing this will help in restoring the shine of metal.
- If there is oxidation in metal, the best way to treat it is to use a home-made cleaner with equal parts of water and white vinegar.
Cleaning Plastic Patio Furniture
- For basic cleaning of plastic patio furniture, use a mixture of warm water and dish soap.
- If you are getting rid of grime and mold, then you can use oxygen bleach. Spot treatment of the affected area will work best. Using bleach will also work for getting rid of white-water mold in a hot tub if you have a tub on the patio.
- Baking soda is a great natural cleaner for plastic patio furniture. This is better than using abrasives, which can scratch the plastic.
Cleaning Cushioned Patio Furniture
- Start by cleaning the cover or the fabric. Use a soft-bristle brush dipped in soap and water solution to scrub the surface and get rid of dirt. This is also effective in cleaning patio umbrellas.
- For small cushioned items, such as pillows, you can have them machine-washed. Make sure to choose the gentle cycle and dry it only at the lowest possible setting to avoid damages.
Cleaning Wicker Patio Furniture
- Vacuuming is one of the basics when it comes to how to clean patio furniture made of wicker. Use the brush attachment to get rid of the dirt. Use the lowest suction level to minimize potential wicker damage.
- For a deeper cleaning of wicker patio furniture, use soapy water and a soft brush to clean the surface. Finish by spraying using a garden hose. The pressure from the water will help get rid of the build-up stuck between the wickers.
- A combination of water and white vinegar will also be effective, especially when it comes to preventing mold and mildew.
Before we end this post, we’ll answer some of the most common questions you might have about cleaning patio furniture.
Q: What is the best cleaner for outdoor furniture?
The best cleaner for outdoor furniture is one made using natural materials that will clean without causing side effects to the materials. They will be tough on stains but gentle on the furniture.
Q: How do you clean outdoor furniture fabric?
To clean outdoor furniture fabric, use a mixture of warm water and heavy-duty detergent. Use a soft-bristle brush to clean the furniture fabric one segment at a time. Rinse away dirt after cleaning each segment. Do not let the detergent dry on the fabric.
Q: How do you clean dirty patio furniture?
There are many ways to clean dirty patio furniture. You can use commercially available patio cleaners with powerful chemicals. If you want a gentler approach, you can use kitchen items, like vinegar. Detergent soaps are also must-haves for proper cleaning of dirty patio furniture.
Q: How do you clean outdoor tables and chairs?
To clean outdoor tables and chairs, use a moist cloth with a gentle soap solution. Use scrubs and brushes if there are tough stains. Oxygen bleach and dishwasher detergent will also be effective. The right cleaning method will depend on the material of the furniture. To prevent the tables and chairs from getting dirty, consider using outdoor furniture covers.
Q: How do you clean outdoor wood furniture naturally?
Use one cup of water, one cup of vinegar, and one tablespoon olive oil if you want to clean outdoor wood furniture naturally. Spray it directly on the wood and wipe using a clean cloth. This will help to restore the natural shine and appearance of wood.
Q: Can you power wash patio cushions?
Yes, you can pressure wash patio cushions. Especially with detergent, pressure washing is an effective way to get rid of stubborn dirt. Nonetheless, make sure to use only the lowest pressure possible to avoid damaging the cushion.
Q: How do you remove stains from plastic patio furniture?
To remove stains in plastic patio furniture, mix two tablespoons of powdered oxygen bleach with one gallon of warm water. Use this mixture to scrub the dirt off the furniture. Make sure to use gloves.
Q: How do you remove oxidation from patio furniture?
To remove oxidation from patio furniture, using a metal polishing paste is one of the best solutions. Alternatively, you can also treat oxidized outdoor furniture with one-part water and one-part vinegar.
Globo Surf Overview
Keep your outdoor patio furniture looking at its best. Pay attention to the tips mentioned above on how to clean patio furniture. From vinegar to commercial cleaners, many promising materials will effectively get rid of dirt and stain on your furniture!