Made by Garmin, one of the most reliable brands for GPS, you can expect this product to pack a plethora of impressive features. Yes, it is expensive, but it is good to know that its cost is justifiable. Below are some of the features that make this product a must-have in your hiking checklist.
- Utilizes GPS/GLONASS with a quad-helix antenna for reliability and accuracy
- Pre-loaded with caches and US topography maps
- 3-axis compass with barometric altimeter
- Smart Notification for receiving emails, texts, and alerts
- Small but sunlight-readable screen
- Rugged construction with IPX7 water-resistance rating
- Comes with a dual battery system for a flexible source of power
- The purchase comes with 1-year Bird’s Eye Satellite Imagery subscription
Height: 6.3 inches
Width: 2.4 inches
Display Size: 2.2 x 1.4 inches (2.6 inches diagonally)
Resolution: 240 x 160 pixels
Display Type: 65-color TFT transflective
Battery: 2 AA batteries or NiMH battery
Average Battery Life: 16 hours
Water-Resistance Rating: IPX7
Internal Memory: 4GB
Wireless Connectivity: Bluetooth and ANT+
Ease of Use
If there’s one thing that makes it user-friendly, it would be the presence of ten large buttons. They are in strategic positions, which also means that they will be easy to access. Each button comes with a dedicated function.
The menu is simple to navigate, and the interface will be seamless to use. There is a bit of a learning curve if you haven’t used a similar gadget in the past. Otherwise, you will not have a problem.
However, the lack of touchscreen functionality hurts the usability of GPS. It would have been better if you can pinch and zoom the screen.
With the rugged construction of the Garmin GPSMAP 64s, you can be confident that it will withstand many years of use. Once you hold it in your hand, you will feel how durable the rubber-wrapped body is. It is also easy to grip and won’t easily slip off your hand, even when you are wearing hiking gloves.
To add, the construction is also notable because of the IPX7 waterproof rating. This means that you can submerge it in the water at a depth of up to one meter but only for 30 minutes. It can also withstand splashes, making it a great option if you need a kayak GPS.
A good feature of this GPS is the dual-battery system. This means that you have the option to use two AA batteries or a NiMH battery. You can use rechargeable batteries if you want a more economical option compared to disposable batteries.
However, a major problem with the battery is that it lasts only 16 hours. For those who are having a multi-day hiking trip, it may not be enough. Make sure that you always bring spare batteries with you!
Whether it is day or night navigation, a good GPS must guide you through your journey. That is exactly what you can expect the Garmin 64s to deliver. Admittedly, it isn’t as precise as its higher-end and newer counterparts, but in most destinations, it will be more than enough.
To help you navigate unknown territories, it has 100K US topographic maps, including Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and Alaska. It is also a good thing that the map comes with a 2D representation of elevation, providing you with a more detailed look at your current location. Plus, the map will point you out to some of the destinations of interest, such as national parks.
More so, thanks to the GLONASS technology, it is up to 20% quicker compared to those that do not have it. Regardless if you are in deep canyons or heavy cover, this product makes it easier to get through your hike.
The quad-helix antenna adds to the reliability of its navigation features. It helps in quickly pointing your location. Even if you are in the forest, you will be happy with the superior reception that it can offer.
You can navigate with confidence given the ability to use waypoints, tracks, and routes. There are also preloaded caches. Moreover, there are hints and descriptions, making it easy to locate a cache. The built-in compass will assume an important role in helping you navigate.
Another reason why it can provide a great user experience is the presence of a sunlight-readable display. This means that even when you are walking and the sun is at its peak, the 2.6-inch screen is easy to read. You don’t have to think about the glare!
However, with a resolution of only 160 x 240 pixels, this has a low-end display. Especially when you are hiking at night, you will have a hard time seeing the screen because of the low resolution.
It would have been better if the display comes with dual orientation. It is locked only in portrait mode, unlike others that will automatically rotate depending on the position of the GPS as it is held.
The exceptional user experience when using the Garmin 64s is possible because of its wireless connectivity. Even when you are out in the wild, you can stay connected to your family and friends. You can receive emails and texts. However, take note that you can only receive but not send.
Additionally, it is possible to connect it to your smartphone for Live Tracking. This is a good alternative if you find the built-in display of the GPS to be too small and you like to have a larger screen for easier navigation.
- Price: 90% – A lot of users will complain about its price. The cost can be the biggest hindrance in choosing this product. Nonetheless, this should not be too much of an issue since it packs plenty of features and it is from one of the most reliable brands on the market.
- Features: 95% – Since it is made by one of the most trusted brands in the market, the Garmin GPSMAP 64s is loaded with exceptional features. From wireless connectivity to location accuracy, it has the features you will need when hiking.
- Portability: 98% – A hiking GPS should be lightweight and compact, which are exactly the things that you can expect from this device. With its portability, it will be easy to bring wherever you are.
- Accuracy: 90% – While it is equipped with great sensors, it is still not accurate as of its more advanced competitors. Nonetheless, in most instances, it will deliver accurate readings and will be a reliable hiking companion.
- Overall: 93% – This GPS is impressive in more ways than one. It is portable and feature-packed. Nonetheless, we would love to see it deliver more accurate readings, especially given its price.
Globo Surf Overview
In sum, the Garmin 64s is a great product. After all, it is from one of the most reliable manufacturers in the global market, making it hard to match. It has a sunlight-readable display, rugged construction, and waterproof design. To add, it is preloaded with base maps and caches. Plus, it utilizes both GPS and GLONASS complemented with a quad-helix display.
With the Garmin GPSMAP 64s, there no need to be scared when you are outdoors! You won’t get lost as you have a dependable companion that will point you in the right direction! As a bonus, you can stay connected even without your smartphone!