The FlipBelt Running Light is a fantastic way to shine some light on your night running sessions. Not all of us can run during the day (because of work, heat, or any other reason), so we schedule our runs for late evenings and early mornings. A good running light allows us to see where we’re going and makes it easy for others to spot us.
The design of this light makes it one of the most convenient lighting options to use for running. It attaches directly to your FlipBelt and sits at the waist, shining the light at a much better angle compared to head-mounted running lights. This position not only makes it more comfortable to wear but also makes all the objects on the ground more visible. Thanks to the rubber insert on the back, it stays firmly in the belt and doesn’t bounce when you run.
One of the best things about the FlipBelt running light is how strong it is. It’s equipped with a 500-lumen LED light that shines very brightly and makes the surroundings easy to see even in complete darkness. The device comes with a 2600mAh rechargeable battery that can deliver up to 12 hours of continuous work, making sure you have enough light throughout the whole run. FlipBelt also includes a micro USB cable in the package for charging the battery.
The case of this light is made of extra-strong aluminum that makes it durable and resistant to bumps and drops. It’s also completely sealed and certified with an IPX6 waterproof rating, so you don’t have to worry about the light breaking down if you get caught in the rain. It’s a great light altogether and it’s perfectly compatible with any of the FlipBelt models. If you are a night runner and would like to make your runs safer, be sure to read on and learn more.
We were really impressed with the neat features of this compact running light. The LED is exceptionally strong, and the case allows you to swivel it and direct the beam how you like it. The rubber insert is really easy to put in the belt and keeps the light really secure while you’re on the move. Also, FlipBelt equips this device with an excellent battery that guarantees many hours before you need to plug it in. Take a quick look at all the things that the FlipBelt Running Light has to offer:
- High-quality Cree LED makes the path easily visible
- Waterproof casing allows you to use the light in the rain
- Case swivels up and down allowing you to adjust the direction
- ComfortCore rubber insert for securing it to your FlipBelt
- Rechargeable Li-Ion battery gives it excellent operation time
- Fast charging using the provided USB cord
- Four operation modes for easily adjusting the light output
Weight: 5.6 ounces
Bulb Type: Cree XML U2 LED
Modes: High, Medium, Low, Strobe
Light output: 500 lumen (high)
Battery: Li-Ion 3.6V 2600mAh, rechargeable
Battery life: 8 hours (high) to 12 hours (low)
Charging time: 2 hours
Waterproof rating: IPX6
Included accessories: Micro USB charging cable
Construction and Design: Runners are generally impressed with how well-made this light is. The aluminum casing feels very strong, and FlipBelt says that it’s resistant to impacts too. It’s also certified to be IPX6 waterproof (same as many high-quality waterproof flashlights), and users say that rain won’t cause any problems.
The middle part of the casing (which holds the LED) is designed to swivel up and down. Runners say that this is a very neat feature that allows you to easily direct the light. In the back of the FlipBelt light, there is a rubber insert that goes through one of the openings in your FlipBelt. A bonus is that it doesn’t use much space in the belt, so you can also put your phone or something else behind the light.
Light: Customers who have bought this light say that they were pleasantly surprised with the light output that it delivers. The Cree LED inside works exceptionally well and shines significantly brighter than most other LED flashlights on the market. The output of 500 lumens is more than enough to clearly show you the path in front of you as well as any obstacle on the way.
Customers also say that the brightness of this light is very easy to spot from a very large distance, so the chance of a car not seeing you is next to none. This significantly contributes to your safety, especially if you like to run on roads.
Battery: The FlipBelt running light is powered by a rechargeable battery that can produce up to 12 hours of working time when fully charged. Generally speaking, a rechargeable flashlight like this one is a much better solution than a model that uses disposable AA batteries. It’s more environmentally friendly, not to mention that you don’t have to spend money buying replacement batteries.
Users say that you’ll easily get the specified 12 hours of runtime when using it on low and that it lasts almost 8 hours when used on high. This is a great result, as it guarantees you’ll have lighting throughout the run, even on max. FlipBelt provides you with a micro USB cable for charging and runners say that this is very convenient since you can charge the light in your car, at home from your PC, or through a wall outlet.
Use: Everybody who has tried it agrees that having a light on your waist instead of your head is much better. Many runners don’t like wearing a light on their heads, so this makes an excellent alternative. Even though you can feel the weight when holding it in your hand, it feels very light when you put it on the belt so you don’t feel it when you run.
Also, its position on your body gives you a better field of vision. Unlike head-mounted running lights, it doesn’t reflect fog or rain, and also doesn’t interfere with other runners that are coming towards you. Customers say that it significantly reduces the chance of tripping which is especially important if you like to go off-road on trail runs and hikes during the night.
- Price: 80% – If we’re being honest, the FlipBelt Running Light is pretty expensive. However, this is not your ordinary light. The construction quality is excellent, so you can count on it to last a long time. Also, the light output is much stronger than you would usually expect from a running light.
- The FlipBelt light offers something different when it comes to its position too, giving you a different running experience. So, if you decide to spend a bit more and get this one, you can count on top-level performance in every situation.
- Material: 95% – FlipBelt uses aluminum to make the casing of this light and, as we’ve pointed out earlier, this is a great choice. The running light has more than enough strength for outdoor use (can even withstand drops). Making the case waterproof was also a nice touch since you don’t have to worry about the lamp getting flooded in the rain.
- Design: 100% – An innovative design like this one deserves much praise. The position on your waist allows you to see the path much better and prevents the light from reflecting in your eyes. The fact that you can adjust the beam direction and light level is also a big plus. We want to add that the light doesn’t move when you run, so you’ll always have a light on the road without even feeling you’re carrying the device.
- Overall: 92% – We are really impressed with how this powerful running light works. It’s extremely convenient to carry, much better than having a light on your head or arms. While it’s maybe too expensive for those of you who don’t run frequently, we feel that it’s a great investment for all runners who prefer night runs because it makes them much safer and more enjoyable.
Globo Surf Overview
All things considered, there are many nice things to say about the FlipBelt running light. It’s very easy to use and gives you plenty of light even when it’s pitch black outside. The powerful 500lm LED shows you every obstacle on the road and guarantees that everyone else sees you on time. As we mentioned earlier, the strength of the aluminum casing ensures that the light lasts for a long time. It’s a fantastic addition to your FlipBelt and a great way to raise the safety level of your outdoor activities in low-light conditions.
More Backpacking/Hiking Reviews:
- Hiking Shorts
- Backpacking Chair
- Canon Lens For Landscape
- Camera Backpack For Hiking
- Camera For Hiking
- How To Fix A Zipper On A Backpack
- Star Navigation
- How To Clean Leather Boots
- Best Hikes In Europe
- Hiking First Aid Kit
- FlipBelt Running Light, flipbelt.com