Many people have selachophobia, which for those that don’t know, is a fear of sharks. While you may see many facts surrounding the low likelihood of a shark attack while you’re in the water, an attack is a real threat that you need to prepare for.
Many people have tried to do that in different ways from carrying smells that are going to put off the shark to a sharp implement such as a spear that can be used to attack it while you’re in the water. A lot of these methods though are simply dangerous or ineffective.
That’s where the eSpear can be brilliant as it is a highly effective solution that doesn’t put you or the shark in any danger. It simply enables you to disorientate the shark with an electrical field to deter it from getting too close.
It is a great product and one that has been extensively worked on to deliver a high level of effectiveness. In this review, we will look deeper into how it works, how usable it is and how easy it is to use before looking at how it ranks in some key areas, before giving it an overall rating.
This is a product that is going to help to change people’s perceptions of how safe it is going to be in the water when there is the possibility of sharks. Here we take a quick look at the features that it has before looking at them in a greater level of detail.
- Powerful electrical field
- Automatic operation
- Carabiner included
- Optional holster
- LED operational status
- Long-life battery
- Induction charging dock
- Up to two hours of continuous operation
Power: Lithium battery
Weight: 8.8 ounces
Max depth: 100 meters
Electrical field size: Over 1m (3’2″) high x 2.5m (8’2″) wide
Color: Available in five colors
Usability: When you are scuba diving with sharks it’s important to know how to be as safe as possible. That also applies to surfing and swimming in the water too, as there is always a risk that there will be sharks around in the water.
As we all know, sharks are fast and in no time you could have once in your vicinity where you need to act fast to protect yourself. This product will take a very short time to get going and will help to make you feel safe very quickly.
To use it, you need to slide it out of the handle casing and then fold out the tip of the device. A great aspect of this product is that you don’t need to turn it on as once it is fully extended, it will turn on automatically to give you that electrical field.
That process of opening up the device is very quick and therefore you don’t have to worry about fumbling around with it when a shark is coming closer to you. It’s a device that is very easy to use and you’ll be confident when you have it by your side in the water.
Practicality: Having a shark repellent on you is important if you are going to be diving anywhere that you know the creatures might be. Some work better than others though and this is a genius device that will give you confidence while you’re in the water.
You may feel uneasy trying to defend yourself with an invisible force but it’s one that works very well. Sharks sense their food via electrical signals and what the eSpear does is send out its own signal that disrupts the shark and prevents it from any closer to you.
These signals give the shark unbearable spasms in their nose and therefore they will find it painful getting close to you. The great aspect of that though is that once they are out of range of the device, the pain goes away and there are no lasting effects and therefore the shark is unharmed.
It’s a great solution to a long-standing problem. You might feel uneasy about not having something physical to defend yourself but it has been proven to work and therefore it’s not something that you are going to have to worry about, even if you are very scared at the time.
Usage: There are two ways that you would be able to store this device as it comes with a carabiner for easy attachment to yourself but there is also a holster too that you can buy as an additional extra, should you feel the need to use it. Both of these methods will give you instant access to the device.
The battery has a long life and has between 1-2 hours on continual use, depending on aspects such as the temperature of the water. It’s not a product you are going to be continually using though, just when a threat is present, and therefore that battery will keep you protected for a long time.
It has an easy to read battery indicator to let you know when you should get out of the water and recharge your device. Recharging is very easy though and it can be charged via induction to prevent you from even having to plug it in.
Due to the nature of the product, it will be able to be attached to most wetsuits and it can be ideal for surfers, swimmers, and divers to ensure that they are protected. It’s a product that you hope you’ll never need but one that will keep you safe in the water.
As we have seen this is a very well-made product and one that could potentially save your life if the worst-case scenario happens. Here we look at how the product rates in some key areas before giving it an overall rating.
- Price: 95% – If you’re nervous about being in an area where there could be sharks then you are going to want a device that is going to be able to give you the best protection. This product isn’t cheap but for the protection, it will give you, it is well worth it. You could pick up a knife a lot more cheaply but do you really want to be wrestling with a shark with just a knife in your hand? This device does not only have a very high level of quality but it also will give you confidence when you are out in the water and is a great investment.
- Material: 95% – Whether you’re looking for a diving camera, a shark repellent, or general dive safety gear, you always want them to be made out of the best materials possible. This is a very well made product that is going to be able to deliver on its promises. It is going to be durable enough to last for a long time and it’s not going to break easily by any means. It has been made to a very high standard and will be able to stand up to even the most stringent of tests.
- Design: 95% – The design of the item is very good and when folded away, it is very compact and easy to carry. It does take time to be able to fold it out and have it ready to use but this is only going to be a matter of seconds. You also need to only use it at the right time. It doesn’t have a long battery run time but this isn’t going to be an issue if you are only using it when there are threats around rather than using it all of the time while you are in the water.
- Overall: 95% – This is a well-rounded product that is going to give you a high level of usability. It deserves its high rating because it is well priced, made out of high-quality materials and the design ensures that it works quickly and effectively.
Globo Surf Overview
If you want extra protection when you are out in the water then the eSpear is going to be the perfect product for you. It’s important to know your scuba diving safety tips and solutions and this device will be an important part of that if you’ll be swimming near sharks.
Some products look great on the face of it but end up being a disappointment. This is a product though that delivers on its promises and this is will make sure you have a smile on your face while you’re in the water, instead of constantly looking at whether or not there are sharks nearby.
For anyone who loves being in the ocean but knows that there could be sharks around, this is a product that comes highly recommended. At the minimum, it will give you peace of mind while you’re in the water but in the worst-case scenario, it could be a lifesaver.