Having clean and clear water is of the utmost importance when it comes to using and owning a hot tub. There are several ways to achieve exceptional water quality in your hot tub like using a hot tub Ozonator. But what exactly is a hot tub Ozonator? Do ozone generators work? And how does an ozone generator work anyway? Below we’ll answer these questions and several others, as well as provide other important information regarding the function and use of hot tub ozonators.
What Is a Hot Tub Ozonator?
A hot tub Ozonator is a device that helps to clean the water in your hot tub and is installed directly inside the hot tub’s body. It is usually equipped with an ultraviolet light bulb that converts oxygen into ozone. Unlike other chemical-based hot tub sanitizers, ozone does not affect pH levels making it safe to use in hot tubs and even swimming pools.
Do ozone generators work? Yes, but not by itself alone. A hot tub Ozonator works in conjunction with other hot tub sanitizers like chlorine or bromine. Yes, you will still need to put chlorine or bromine in your hot tub even with an Ozonator. The Ozonator works to break down harmful chemicals and causes the dissolved solids to clump together so they can be easier to remove. It also breaks up combined chlorine or bromine so these sanitizers can continue working at keeping your water clean and sanitized.
Now that we’re clear about what a hot tub Ozonator is and what it does, let’s answer another important question: how does an ozone generator work?
How Does a Hot Tub Ozonator Work?
So, how does an ozone generator work? As mentioned earlier, a hot tub Ozonator is equipped with an ultraviolet light bulb or any other device that is similar in property and function. This is what converts the oxygen into ozone.
The ozone then travels through an airline that is connected to a water jet. Both ozone and water travels into the hot tub and mixes with the hot tub water. Many hot tubs like Coleman hot tubs, Lifesmart hot tubs, and others come with an ozone jet and an airline. If your hot tub doesn’t come with one, don’t worry because it is pretty easy to have an air line added into an existing air jet.
Once the ozone mixes with the water, it starts to break down chemicals and other compounds like soap, lotion, oils and other unwanted pollutants in the hot tub water.
Advantages of Hot Tub Ozonators
Aside from helping keep your hot tub water clean and maintaining its quality, there are other benefits of using hot tub ozonators, some of which are outlined below.
- Natural Sanitizer. Not only do ozone generators work, but unlike other types of hot tub sanitizers, an Ozonator is a natural cleaning agent since it harnesses the power of ozone to do its job.
- Reduced Chemical Usage. Some people have a sensitivity to hot tub sanitizers like chlorine which then leads to the development of chlorine rash and other similar conditions. By using a hot tub Ozonator, you’ll need less amount of chemical-based hot tub sanitizers which in turn reduces the possibility of developing rashes and irritation.
- Economical Cleaning Solution. As mentioned earlier, using a hot tub Ozonator will reduce the need for chemical-based hot tub sanitizers. This should help you save on your chlorine and bromine consumption. That said, not only do ozone generators work but they are also a great investment that will help you save money in the long run.
- Long-lasting Effect. Generally, hot tub owners need to change their hot tub water every three months. However, by using a hot tub Ozonator (along with proper hot tub care and maintenance) the water in the hot tub will remain clean and clear for a longer period which can last between eight to twelve months.
- Reduced Water Odor. Hot tub ozonators can also help reduce or even eliminate unwanted odors in your hot tub water. This is mainly because it helps to keep the water cleaner and at the same time reduce the need for chemical-based hot tub sanitizers which have their smells.
Disadvantages of Hot Tub Ozonators
Despite the many benefits of using a hot tub Ozonator, there are certain drawbacks that you need to be aware of if you intend to have one installed in your hot tub.
- Lung Irritation. Although ozone is a natural compound, it can have some negative effects on a person’s respiratory system. Some symptoms can include coughing and throat irritation. However, this is only true when the person is exposed to high amounts of ozone at any given time.
- Prone to Malfunctioning. Like any other hot tub part and accessories, hot tub ozonators can also malfunction and fail. One reason why this happens is because of old age. Hot tub ozonators generally have a service life of no less than three years, and some high-quality ones can last several years longer. Another reason is improper installation. This is why it’s important not to DIY your hot tub Ozonator installation unless you’re confident about your skills.
- Potential Damage to Hot Tub Cover. This is one of the biggest drawbacks of using a hot tub Ozonator is that it can cause potential damage to your hot tub cover. When you close your hot tub, gas can build up in the space between the hot tub cover and the water’s surface. That said, remember to take the cover off your hot and leave it open for several hours at least once a week.
Q: Are ozone generators effective?
Yes, hot tub ozonators are effective in helping keep your water clean and sanitized with the aid of hot tub sanitizers like chlorine or bromine. Together they make a potent combination which can effectively remove up to 99% of germs and bacteria thriving in your hot tub water. They are also effective in removing bad odors present in the water.
Q: Do ozone generators kill mold?
No, ozone generators are not strong enough to kill mold or even any other type of microorganism. This is why you need to use other hot tub sanitizers like chlorine or bromine along with an ozonator in order to sanitize your hot tub.
Q: How long does it take for ozone to dissipate?
It takes about 15-20 minutes for ozone to dissipate in water. After that, it reverts back to simple oxygen.
Globo Surf Overview
So, do ozone generators work? Yes, they do although you must remember that an Ozonator alone won’t clean and sanitize your water by itself. You’ll still need to add hot tub sanitizers like chlorine or bromine to the water, clean the filter, and test the chemical levels regularly to ensure the cleanliness of your hot tub water. Hopefully, this article answered many of your questions including how does an ozone generator works and others and has helped you gain a better understanding of this device and how it can help ensure the water quality of your hot tub.
More Hot Tub Reviews:
- Intex Hot Tub
- Steam Shower
- Barrel Sauna
- Coleman Hot Tub
- Plug And Play Hot Tub
- Hot Tub Water Green
- Hot Tub App
- 110v Vs 220v Hot Tub
- Kids And Hot Tubs
- Hot Tub Temperature Sensor Testing
- Ozone, Wikipedia