Those of you who hike and camp year-round know that extremely low temperatures present a serious problem for the sensitive equipment you bring. It was exactly this that has inspired Cold Case Gear to create the Aerogel Pouch. This neat little pouch is a new and effective way to fight off temperature and keep the content isolated and insulated.
The main goal and slogan of the Cold Case Gear company are “Untether From Temperature”, and it seems that the Aerogel pouch really manages to do that. The bag can protect your electronics and batteries from draining in the cold, food from freezing or melting, and shield virtually anything else you need to keep at a steady temperature. The best thing is that this type of insulation protects from both heat and cold, giving it unmatched versatility for use during any season.
Besides the highly-effective Aerogel insulator, the bag is made of tough materials that ensure durability (a nylon shell with a water-resistant zipper). At the weight of only 80 grams, you won’t even notice it in your backpack, while its compact size allows you to take it anywhere. If this sounds interesting, make sure to read the rest of the review and learn more.
The Aerogel pouch was designed by outdoor enthusiasts who know all the troubles temperature can give you while camping or hiking. Since they couldn’t find a product that would solve their problems (prevent batteries from draining and food from getting frozen), they decided to do something about it.
Thanks to the exceptional insulation, the Pouch can maintain the temperature of whatever is inside, regardless of the outside temperature. The combination of features makes the bag really practical and efficient, and we can see a large number of potential uses for a product like this. Take a quick look at what it has to offer:
- Aerogel insulator is lighter and better than any alternative
- The nylon construction makes the bag strong and waterproof
- A water-resistant zipper keeps the content secure and dry in rain or snow
- High-quality stitching and lining prevents any leaks
- Webbing straps and loops for securing the pouch to your gear
- Compact dimensions allow you to fit it in any bag or backpack
Length: 7 inches
Width: 4 inches
Height: 4 inches
Weight: 80 grams (2,8 ounces)
Capacity: 2.2 liters (134 cubic inches)
Construction: High-quality materials and smart design are incredibly important for camping and hiking gear since they must be durable and easy to use. To make the pouch last longer and keep your belongings protected, Cold Case Gear uses nylon to make this bag. This is an excellent choice because nylon is known for its strength, tear-resistance, as well as its waterproof properties.
However, to give the bag full protection, the zipper needs to work well too. This is why the Pouch comes with a high-quality water-resistant zipper that prevents any leaks in and out of the bag. Another upside that shouldn’t be overlooked is just how light this bag is. With a weight of 80 grams (just under 3 ounces), it won’t be too heavy even for those of you who are very weight-conscious and want to keep things ultra-light.
We also want to mention the webbing additions that allow you to secure the pouch to other gear. Both sides come with webbing straps and loops that make it possible to easily clip it to the outer surface of your hiking backpack, your bag, or really anywhere else. This way you can take it with you even if your pack is full, and you can be sure that placing it on the outside won’t impact its performance.
Insulation: Perhaps the most impressive thing about the Pouch is the choice of an insulator (Aerogel), pretty unique among outdoor equipment. Aerogel has been on the market for some time now and was first used by NASA as an insulator in their spacesuits. Since then, it has remained one of the most efficient insulators on the market, and certainly the best lightweight insulator you can buy.
The secret behind its efficiency is that it’s 96% air (you may not believe it, but the air is a fantastic insulator). It has an R-value of 7 which is excellent considering the weight of this bag. For comparison, the best closed-cell foam insulators usually found in soft coolers have an R-value of only 2. To make things clearer, R-value measures the resistance of a material to heat flow, and a higher value is obviously better.
Through innovation, Cold Case Gear has managed to create a pouch that efficiently puts all the Aerogel’s properties to use, which is something pretty new on the market. This is what makes this product so versatile, allowing it to prevent the content from freezing when camping in the winter, or from melting when temperatures get scorching hot.
Practical use: While the Aerogel Pouch was initially designed to protect camera batteries from draining quickly in low temperatures, it soon became apparent that a pouch like this can have really wide use for anyone who spends a lot of time outdoors (photographers, hikers, campers, skiers, and many others).
As you probably know, low temperatures hurt rechargeable batteries that our hiking cameras and smartphones use, making them die significantly faster. While you can’t fit the whole camera in the pouch, it’s an excellent place to stash an extra set of batteries that will remain charged. Of course, any smartphone can fit inside the pouch easily.
Because it’s able to insulate the content completely, many people choose to use it for keeping some of the food they need to bring. When the weather is freezing outside, it’s really nice to find that the energy bar you brought isn’t rock-hard and that the drink isn’t fully frozen.
Furthermore, you can also use it to keep a small isobutane fuel canister for your backpack stove, so it doesn’t become liquid and you can light it when you need it. Finally, it can also be used for keeping medication. For example, it can be very convenient for diabetics that need to take insulin with them.
- Price: 95% – Considering the build quality of this product, we would argue that the selling price is more than reasonable. It uses only premium materials to bring you the best performance you can expect from an insulated pouch. Even though there are more budget-friendly products, none of them can match the efficiency of this one.
- Material: 100% – Cold Case Gear pays close attention to product performance and durability, which always gets a thumbs up from us. The nylon they use is tear-resistant (required for all the outdoor wear and tear the pouch is going to see), while the Aerogel insulation is the best you can get. We really can’t complain about anything, as we haven’t found a single faulty detail.
- Design: 95% – The design of this pouch is great with its sleek lines and a beautiful combination of black and blue. The shape of the bag is also very convenient, as it allows you to pack various things of different sizes. One thing we need to point out though is the overall size of the pouch. While it’s great for stashing many things, you won’t be able to put them all in at the same time. If you don’t need to fit a lot of things, we’re sure you’ll be more than happy with it.
- Overall: 97% – There are many nice things to say about the Aerogel pouch. Unlike most other insulated pouches, you can rely on this one to perform at any temperature, from under -25°F to over 100°F. It’s tough and durable, and truly offers something different. For all avid campers and hikers who like to explore nature regardless of the temperature, the Aerogel pouch is well worth the investment.
Globo Surf Overview
As you’ve had the chance to see, the Aerogel Pouch is the new answer to the problems that winter and summer camping bring with them. This convenient little bag fits anywhere, and you can rely on it to work even in sub-zero temperatures or direct sunlight.
The construction quality is top-notch, making it a loyal companion on hikes and camping trips for years to come. If you love the outdoors and go on adventures regardless of the season, the Pouch needs to have a place on your backpacking checklist. We really liked this innovation, and are excited to see what Cold Case Gear comes up with next.
More Backpacking/Hiking Reviews:
- Hydration Bladder
- Solar Watches
- Hiking Hat
- Backpacking Pillow
- North Face Backpack
- Wilderness Survival
- Hiking With Dogs
- What To Wear Hiking
- Road Trip Essentials
- Wonderland Trail